123 distributor fitted but underpowered?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo1972

Reaction score
Hi guys, calling anyone who has fitted a 123 dizzy. Replaced an SVDA dizzy fitted with elec ignition module for a 123 vac type distributor. Set distributor to 0 on advance curve which matches the AB engine fitted in the bus (think it was orig 1300 beetle engine but now 1641). Followed instructions supplied with distributor and found 7.5deg BTDC and checked it was No1 cylinder at TDC by taking plug out and using tool to feel top of piston on stroke, refitted plug. At this point he rotor arm was pointing at No1 cylinder, which i believe is a little strange as should it be pointing at 5 o'clock on a SVDA dizzy? Set timing on distributor to that mark as it instructs, rotate clockwise till LED goes off, then turn back ACW whilst also pushing rotor arm ACW till the LED just comes on. Turned ignition off and fitted HT leads back to distributor. Tighten up clamp, then fit black wire to neg on coil and fit vacuum hose. Took some starting but it did and idled ok but sounded like it was missing as hesitation when revved engine. Took for test drive and very underpowered, still idles ok once it has started. Thought i'd set wrong so tried at TDC instead but worse so reverted back to 7.5deg BTDC.

Only thing i can think is wrong are the HT leads or the rotor pointed at No1? I forgot to make a mark on the old cap what wire went where when it was at 7.5deg BTDC! So i fitted no1 over the rotor arm position (pointing at No1 cylinder) and then 4/3/2 in a clockwise direction as firing order is 1-4-3-2 and rotor moves clockwise (is that correct?).

Any help most appreciated.

Just checked on another site and i thought i had HT leads in wrong position on cap, but tried as image but just backfires and will not start

If it ran but was underpowered I suggest you put a timing light on it. Make sure that idle is set correctly (about 900rpm) and the vacuum hose is off the dizzy end and plugged with something. It should be spot on 7.5btdc at idle, going to about 30 degrees atdc by vacuum advance.

I went from an 009 to an SVDA and yes after that #1 TDC is 90 degrees out compared to the 009.

One other thing, check that your vacuum advance is actually advancing, it might be stuck or leaking.

I have replaced my 009 dissy with a CSP SVDA. I noticed that the new position at TDC for number 1 was that it pointed to number 1 plug ie at about 1 o’clock whereas the 009 had number 1 at around 4 o’clock.
As Coda mentions above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks guys. Just set timing to 7.5btdc at idle vacuum plugged but still very hesitant and doesn't sound right on revving, put vid on early bay Facebook page. Probably missing something very simple

Hi Mike. Ran fine before with svda and elec module. The ht lead thing worries me tbh but sure they are correct. On setting 0 which it states is correct for ab engine code

I don’t know what an ab engine code means but I’ve recently put in a CSP pacemaker dissy and the electric gubbins is the same as the Dutch 123 dissy. For a bus it’s usually curve 9.

OK I may have to play around with settings and try 9. I went from this gude

I did check the leads and all seemed seated well. Just to quash this element of doubt am I correct with the no1 lead above rotor that is pointing at no1 cylinder, then 4 3 2 in clockwise direction after no1

1432 clockwise is the right firing order, if you are sure no 1 is like mine ie pointing towards no1 spark plug at TDC, then should be ok.

Further updates. Timed to 30btdc at 3500rpm, still underpowered on test drive. Checked valves and set at 0.15mm gap. Test drive, still underpowered. Set to no9 on dizzy to try that setting, still underpowered. Idles nice, revs seem a little stuttered but does go up to 4000 no probs. Another thing I've noticed since changing is gen light stays on all the time now. I knew alternator was on way out as light stayed on till got to 3000rpm then stayed off, now on permanent even if rev above 3000rpm. Another thing on list to change but it shouldn't affect this..... Should it?

Sounds like a connection is missing, IIRC there should be a wire connecting the coil and alternator?

Thanks for replies guys. Yes red is connected to coil pos as has to be to set static timing with the led in distributor. However it is on a piggyback connector so will check that. Re plugs not changed them as was running fine before dizzy changeover

Latest posts