1600 TP Questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That all sounds much like my journey when I bought a camper - all sorts of bits missing and wrong. Amazing that it worked in the first place, but now drivers a LOT better !

Just got the Bentley manual through from JK and advises that the air cleaners were revised multiple times - but a nice piccie shows the 1971 air cleaner having a thermostat connected on the intake snout for preheat switching (horizontal spring thing) rather than a vacuum, a single connection for the oil breather and no vacuum connections on the top..

Reading into the blurb it implies that only the twin carb models had vacuum connections on the top of the canister to incorporate engine speed and temperature into pre heat source switching (so poss a late bay oil cleaner pre paper type)- mines missing the vacuum assembly on the intake and the weighted flap which I think allows crankcase pressure into the cleaner and shuts off to prevent drawing oil into the cleaner,

As it is I've found what looks like a 71 assembly on the samba for $40 (result :) ) so think it will be easier to just swap the whole assembly 8)

Loving the bentley manual so far :mrgreen:

Vans back from the garage - got a call today and he advised he didn't drill the manilfod for the servo - as he found the servo pipe wasn't connected - put a union on the pipe to match the sizes from the manifold and and connected it up to the servo......I now have monster brakes :mrgreen: - nearly hit the dash on the drive home a few times!

Will get a spare manifold end and drill, tap and fit the correct size pipe and fit this at a later date, means I can do it in my sweet time rather than pay the garage for doing it - at least all is working in the short term!

Also explains the poor running, as the pipe was open so just sucking air into the engine - could this also explain why fuel was leaking from the carb? With a loss of vacuum from air entering via the servo pipe I'm assuming pressure would build up in the carb from from the pump and force excess fuel out past the bushes?

It's stopped leaking now - so thinking that may have been the cause, it's a new looking carb so was surprised the bushes could have gone - I've got them anyway and a carb rebuild kit so will put this on the list

Slowly getting used to vw's - big change from the world of British Leyland!

Guy also got the bus up on ramps so I could have a good poke about - turns out it's had all sorts of new mechanical bits like driveshaft stuff, ball joints, steering bits,and most of the brake pipes replaced - which will save me the pleasure in the long run :) - floors that aren't covered by the belly pans look very solid, so chuffed to get a good look around and confirm all looking good!

Also had a beetle in that had been owned by the same old boy for the last 24 years, this thing was immaculate and unmolested - polished, garaged and sent in for servicing and is completely original - on an M plate so around 1978? He smiled when said the old boy was no longer driving and had offered first refusal to the garage.......lucky git

Latest posts