1600tp carb , best ideas

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkroozers

Reaction score
Hi everyone, building a pretty standard 1600tp engine, what in peoples opinion would be the best all round carb to fit , single or dual , obviously love the look of duals but which is going to be most reliable , many thanks in advance

This is probably one of those can-of-worms conversations, but in my admittedly limited expertise in this area (calling it "expertise" is even a stretch): if you're going for a single carb then a 34 PICT should do the trick just fine.

If you've got an original Solex 34 PICT 3 get it rebuilt by rage.nl, well worth the money and nice and simple to set up

Twist on the question if anyone scroll down this Farr , as I’m building should I go bigger then ? 16 plus or 17 ??
My brain still struggles to understand but I know sometimes going bigger actually can be better on fuel etc , any thoughts

Twist on the question if anyone scroll down this Farr , as I’m building should I go bigger then ? 16 plus or 17 ??
My brain still struggles to understand but I know sometimes going bigger actually can be better on fuel etc , any thoughts
Minimum I’d have in a bus is a 1776. The whole thing of duals being problematic is nonsense spread by people who don’t know what they are doing, I’ve run 36’s, 44’s and now 48’s on my bus, none have them have been anymore problematic than a solex is they are in good condition and set up correctly.

But if the engine stays a bone stock 1600 then leave the solex on it as that’s all it really needs.

As for mpg, I had a hot 2110 stroker with 48 Ida’s in my bus until last year, which was around the 180 hp mark. Would regularly do 24-25mpg on long trips, the more power you have the less work the engine has to do 😉

Building a 2276 now and I’m sure it will achieve similar 😎

So just briefly how much work is involved in building a 1776?
As in is it a case of bolting on larger cylinders at tgat size or are you into having your case , heads etc worked , thanks in advance as I’m slowly learning all the time 🤪👍

So just briefly how much work is involved in building a 1776?
As in is it a case of bolting on larger cylinders at tgat size or are you into having your case , heads etc worked , thanks in advance as I’m slowly learning all the time 🤪👍
The case and heads will need opening up to accept the larger barrels, best place for that in my opinion in the U.K. is stateside tuning. James Calvert has been working on aircooled vw’s & Porsches since the beginning of time and his machine work is flawless.

Camshaft selection is all down to how you want it to drive, anything more radical than an Engle w110 however and you’ll be needing to get big valve heads etc to make the most of the larger cam profiles.

Depends on how much you want to spend. I built a 1776 last year using a new ally case, crank, pistons and barrels, oil pump, camshaft. I also used a lot of stuff from my original engine. Cost was about 2K after all the ancillary bits. I know you could probably buy a new engine for that price, but I got caught out by that once before and now I know what has gone into my engine and it goes like a dream...

Latest posts