1776 Engine with Freeway flyer question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib-bus

Reaction score
Bought a '70 bus with a 1776 engine , the previous owner said it had a freeway flyer transmission but now I am not too sure it really is.
I had the engine looked over and now is running very good , feels strong and sounds great.
I have never driven a bus or any other VW with a freeway flyer transmission but this bus for sure is not flying down the freeway , well at least not quick enough.
First 3 gears are good and strong but once I get to 4th it bogs down.

My questions are:
How do I know if I really have a freeway flyer ?
Is there a way to find out without taking it down ?
Do you do anything different when shifting ?

A freeway flyer is a term for a gearbox with an longer top gear, rather like an overdrive fourth gear. It's purpose is to drop the engine rpm when in top gear.

Another solution is to use the gearbox from an 1800 or two liter bus (depending on how powerful the replacement engine is)

Longer gears are needed when fitting a more powerful engine because otherwise the vehicle will only accelerate better but not have a higher top speed unless the engine is over revved.

So if your top gear is longer than stock you will notice a bigger gap (larger drop in engine rpm) when changing from third to fourth gear.

The easiest way to find out what gearing you have is to compare engine rpm to road speed.

Or you can jack up the back end and count how many turns of the crank it takes to do one complete wheel revolution in 4th. That will te you what ratio you have and compare it to the standard 1600 box specs.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies , I now realize it is a freeway flyer I just didn't know how to use it.
As you guys mentioned the purpose of the tranny is to have a longer top gear.
So what I was able to research is that I have to get to 40 + MPH before I get to 4th gear and it doesn't bog down.
Once on top gear and on flat areas I can now reach 70 or 80 mph and the engine sounds just fine :mrgreen:

Cheers guys.

Latest posts