1776cc with 34 pic carb?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BRAD said:
Hi is anyone running on a 1776 with a single solex 34?

I do remember someone but that was ages ago.

Cheers 8)
I think Dirty Harry may be running this set up or similar. His thread is called Dirty Harry in the Gallery

You can but it's pointless. You'd get just as much if not more power by fitting dual twin choke carbs to a 1600

My old bus (69) had a 1776 with a single solex on it. It went quite well but think the previous owner had jetted out the carb a bit with bigger jets . It ran fine with no probs . But would image you would get a bit more poke with twins

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

K@rlos said:
You can but it's pointless. You'd get just as much if not more power by fitting dual twin choke carbs to a 1600

Everything that I know makes me think this ^^

My new 1776 with 37mm performs quit the same as my old 1641 with a mild cam and twin carbs.
Gas/milage wise it is a little better now, but it is a lot more quiet as with the double carbs, and a cold start is also a big plus, it runs in just 1/2 a turn!
My old double carbs use to dry up if not started regulary.

I definitely wouldn't say it's pointless. It all comes down to personal preference or laws depending on the country you are registered in.
It certainly is doable, be it 1776, 2007 or 2110ccm. You will get more low range power but the carb will limit your power at a certain point.
I will go down that route and have a 2007ccm built sooner or later. With the original carb which should get me to somewhere around the 75 or 80 hp mark.

Dual carbs are a huge hassle to get legal here, and I want a reliable engine that isn't stressed out to the max. And I want the engine to look as stock
as possible if someone wants to have a peek behind the lid.
If you want to have the maximum power possible though, the SC setup isn't what you want. And money wise you'd get a lot more power for the buck by simply
going the dual carb route.

Cheers everyone, especially Dirty Harry.

I'll make a decision at some point over the weekend, I'm more of a torque fan, low down pull and cruise at 65/70 :msn4:

I prefer stock look and am not a fan of twin carbs.

Everything is going pair shaped van wise at the moment :cry:

Restoraider, I might have asked you this elsewhere before.... How does the bigger carb perform?
Did you run that engine with the stock carb before and can you compare the performance?
Fuel consumption should have gone up.... Jetting must be a pain. Is it worth it considering the carb costs around 500€, would you do it again?

The big problem with single 34 PICT 3 carb on a large engine is the idle circuit. You can indeed increase venturi size and rejet the carb but you are still left with the problem that the idle ports (tiny holes drilled in the body next to the butterfly) are too small for an engine over 1641. So to get the engine ticking over properly is not easy without enlarging these ports. If you don't do this then the mixture has to be overrich to get the engine to idle, which means its too rich for the engine overall.
I remember people in the States using these carbs on buggies and sandrails with big engines, by enlarging the idle ports with fine drills, but I've no idea what size they used.

BJ1 said:
The big problem with single 34 PICT 3 carb on a large engine is the idle circuit. You can indeed increase venturi size and rejet the carb but you are still left with the problem that the idle ports (tiny holes drilled in the body next to the butterfly) are too small for an engine over 1641. So to get the engine ticking over properly is not easy without enlarging these ports. If you don't do this then the mixture has to be overrich to get the engine to idle, which means its too rich for the engine overall.
I remember people in the States using these carbs on buggies and sandrails with big engines, by enlarging the idle ports with fine drills, but I've no idea what size they used.

Do not recognise my engine in this, it runs perfect on idle and trough all rev ranges, spark plug color proofs this, im not sure if the guy who converted my carb does more to it then enlarging the venturi though.

hope this information might help the discussion a little - Guido Wensing converted my carb (he did Harry's also) from 34PICT3 to 37mm - with following jet sizes selected to run 1776 on mild cam

Main: 160
Aircorrection: 60z
Pilot (idle): 60
Power (auxiliary): 60

Guido also advised "It is possible, that the main idle can be a bit smaller. Also can it be necessary to make a bigger bore size in the butterfly, now it is 3,2mm. And if you have the problem, that the engine doesnt come up in cold engine state, but smokes out, you should drill a hole in the upper butterfly, about 10-15mm in the more narrow half. If there are any other questions, please ask". I think you'll know what he means.

fyi my 1776 spec =
Web 119 camshaft
37.5 x 33 cylinder heads using std heat exchangers and 'sport' exhaust
8.0 compression ratio
std 1.1 rocker arm
etc
Built as a torque engine for using LPG fuel

my engine will spend most of its time running on lpg, so the carb jetting is not relevant then, altho of course it is relevant for the few occasions when the gas runs out!! I find I can start my engine on lpg even when cold...
the main reason for getting an enlarged 34PICT3 carb to 37mm was to improve the lpg volume supply for the bigger engine - and so as to keep a single carb set up, which maintains the benefit of the stock air inlet and oil bath filter and pre-heat warm air supply to the inlet and simplicity of lpg supply to a single carb etc...

hope that helps!! prob not...

cheers
Rob

Latest posts