1968 bay steering rod collar

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having taken my steering apart, I found that the steering rod was missing a collar where the earthing sleeve sits.
Speaking to several people, they inform me that the sleeve is a permanent part of the rod! Mine is missing and looking at the shaft I can’t see anything that shows it being removed.
I have a 1968 bay, can anyone advise please?
Cheers
Tony

Hi Sparkywig,

In the diagram, the steering column (number7) has a small collar. This is what’s missing on mine. Think I need a whole steering column but I’m toying with the idea to put a Polly bush in to replace what I’ve got missing.

What do you think?

Tony

You have the top bearing 10 with the insert in it that the spring sits on , other than that there is nothing else unless you are talking about the lug for the steering lock to go into. If I remember there was a thing about very early busses not having a steering lock?

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Apologies if I’m not making it clear. The bit I’m missing is part way down the steering rod (number7) I’m assuming that the earthing sleve(shown next to it) fits around it?

What is it for and do I need this part?

Thanks and regards,

Tony

Does your column (no 7) have this big lump in it? Just to the left of no 12? Number 12 as far as I can work out is like a plasticky nylonish wrap around insulator / sleeve / bush / seperator and yes I think you’ll need it. I remember taking one off and it was soft and pliable but the one on my van disintegrated with little more than a stare at it . You do realise in non electrical terms that the horn works backwards (to me) as in its permanently live and the horn button actually earths it, so the earth runs from the horn up through the flexi and column to the horn switch/ button which is why so many use a separate dash switch instead like mine. It’s 235 on my tooo dooolist.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,dodgy stuff this lecky tricks.

Hi

Thank you for your reply. I’m missing both the parts that attaches to the steering rod, the part left of the “insulating washer ( number 12) and the insulating washer (which is available to buy). As far as I can see from other photos ( looking at the Just Kamper insulating washer diagram) the bit I’m missing is metal with groves in it. I’m assuming the groves accommodate the insulating washer?

Mine did had a separate horn switch but I’m trying to rewire it back to original so your comment above is very useful.

Cheers and have a good day

Tony

Latest posts