• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1968 DORMOBILE FOR SALE- DEPOSIT TAKEN

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RUSTYLEE

Reaction score
Ok after much thought and head scratching I have decided to sell my 1968 Dormobile camper, she was first registered on 11/03/1968 so is quite an early model and has only had 6 previous owners. I purchased her on 30/04/2006 and have had many trips down to Devon and Cornwall from Leicester with no problems at all, it never missed a beat. Used to be a daily runner but since getting a new job further from home it became a bit costly to run every day and became a weekender and holiday van.
Now for the boring list of things done/ fitted since I have owned the van. I do have all receipts for parts and work carried out-

- Reconditioned imported (USA) front beam fitted with height adjusters
- New track rods, drag link, steering damper, ball joints
- Reconditioned steering box (megabug)
- New braking system including master cylinder, drums, shoes, pipes, flexy pipes, cylinders
- New rear adjustable spring plates (creative engineering)
- New wheel bearings, oil seals
- New exhaust rear box, tail pipe and fitting kit
- New carburetor
- New tappets, rocker covers
- New ignition coil (bosch), leads (bosch), plugs (bosch)
- New battery (bosch)
- New alternator conversion including stand, tin wear strap and belt
- Aluminium side step fitted
- Front mesh visor fitted
- Aluminium cab door shades/ visors
- Rear roof rack with 1960’s lucas lamp used as reversing light integrated
- New roof bellows (camper shop)
- New clutch kit fitted
- Woodrim/ chrome steering wheel and matching window winders (flat4)
- Used front cream leather seats taken from a rover
- Temperature sensor and gauge fitted (vdo)
- Clock fitted (vdo)
- Large rev counter fitted on top of dash
- New shock absorbers front and rear
- 2x 3 point seat belts and 1x lap belt fitted in rear of van (C&C)
- Rear seat belt anchor points replaced and strengthened
- New full width rock n roll bed trimmed in green and cream (KW conversions)
- New cab carpet in oatmeal
- New floor laid in rear with cream and tan chequered tiles also matching in walkthrough area
- New complete set of curtains
- Electric hook up fitted with power breaker sockets X2
- All wires under dash tidied or replaced and made safe
- Side and rear jail bars fitted
- Fuel cut off valve fitted
- Battery cut off switch fitted
- Replaced pancake air filter with original stock air system
- New front headlights (bosch)
- New rear lights
- New fuel pump
- New top quality door mirrors fitted
- Amber front fog light fitted
- 3x raydyot adjustable spot lights fitted to front

All of these items were fitted or replaced just for peace of mind or just because I wanted too. It has been maintained by Carl at Pirate VW in Loughborough and Simon at Absolute VW in Donnington. The van has never broken down I am a believer in” new is better than old” rather than “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”. I was told that the engine which is the original block was reconditioned when in the hands of the previous owner, it never misses a beat and has never failed so I have no reason to doubt this.
As most vans of this age it is not perfect and there are still a few things that would need doing in time although it is ready to use as is.

- When we had the rear rock n roll bed fitted and flooring we didn’t get round to putting nice covered panels to match in, although I have a full panel set ready to be covered and fitted.
- When the engine was last taken out for the alternator conversion one of the exhaust clips moved and now the exhaust blows slightly and there is sometimes a rattle. This is an easy fix but never got round to sorting it….
- There is something electrical slowly draining the battery. Everything works electrically, this problem came when I had the steering box fitted which is strange as there is no electrical components on it…… maybe a dodgy earth…. I have had a battery cut off switch fitted which solves the problem and also acts as an immobiliser.
- I had 2x window seals replaced due to small leaks but didn’t get around to doing the rest, again I have the seals to do this and they will need doing in time but no leaks at the mo.
- Both bottom rear corners could do with replacing if a respray in carried out. The paint is not concours but as visible on the pics comes up really well with a polish I kind of like it not perfect but each to their own….. It’s not really a ratty van, too good for that category in my eyes.
- The rear engine lid/ cover maybe too badly corroded to be repaired along the bottom but I have a rust free imported replacement that just needs painting and fitting.

With a bit of time and patience this will be a sound van, all the inner panels are waxoiled and underneath is really solid. There are no major rust issues. I have tried to be as honest as possible as I know there are a lot of rot boxes out there, and we looked at loads before finding this little gem. After looking around at what these vans are selling for I am none the wiser as they vary so much. So I am going to say first offer over £7000 buys the van. I am in no major rush to sell it but it would be nice to have my driveway back…..I have most parts that have been replaced in the garage and if I get a good price then I will throw in a lot of camping goodies too, awnings etc Please ring me with any questions MATT- 01455289171 / 07971956960 MOT until middle of june, taxed till may but that’s free any way so no worries.
Cant post any pictures through early bay for some reason so email me and ill send them direct, it says no pics bigger than 256KB and all the ones i have are well over this size...... [email protected]. Sorry about this ill look into it.......

just to add as i cant sort out the pictures yet the van is lotus white over java green, i have been told this is a one year only colour..... :( :(

Getting quite a bit of interest on the van :D , cant sort out pics on earlybay :cry: but have lots of pics that can be forwarded via email if interested.... Matt

2.jpg

5.jpg

10.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Wish my uk bus had been as solid as this one before i restored it :roll: this bus drives really nice, and looks damn 8)

That's a nice van man. Push it through to windsurfer, it might cheer him up and he might be able to see beyond the 'westy' light. He could still then have a few 'spons' leftover to add his own touch...

Its a slow trip to Cornwall in a converted van, god knows how long its gonna take you in a converted garage, nice looking motor and a bit greedy with the spots arent you, so your the one that kept beating me on ebay......ha ha... good luck with the sale....

:lol: The converted garage is going to be a super sleek high speed flying conversion, we will get to the surf in no time.............. ill miss the steady cruise down to the south west but need some cash as the wife has expensive taste!!!!!! :( still cant get round the fact that our van is for sale, but needs must n all that.

Ok, just reduced the price as now need a sale soon so we can crack on with the garage/ kitchen conversion :( and need the van out of the way and some funds towards the work being done..... Seem to be attracting alot of timewasters :x Any decent offer will be accepted :wink:

Looks like a lovely bus, :p I'm sure you'd have said but just wondering if there's a cooker under the passenger seat, also I noticed the New braking system, did you stick with drums on the front or go for discs? would love to take her to france this summer :)

you said you fitted a clock i heard the clocks can drain the battery but not sure they are only a little thing what do you think. Frankie

re the clock, negligeable current draw as it isnt in cct for long just enough to kick the beast into motion then as the spring unwinds and the contactors close again you get another kick and the cycle continues, they are areal nice piece of precision 70s engineering 8)

Those of you that travelled to Dubfreeze at the weekend and were looking to pick up a bargain van on offer there are probably all dissappointed due to the lack of good quality and the stupid prices asked at shows...... : :? ooooh it makes you mad :x I wish i had the weekend free to take my van there but unfortunately couldn't make it this year :( My van is still up for grabs and is a good reliable solid van :!:

Getting a lot of offers in the £6000 area :lol: it wont be sold for any less than 7K any offer over this will be accepted :winking0060: otherwise ill keep it and the garage can wait...... :D

Tanks Rusty, I will be looking for some from a scrapyard :party0047:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts