• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1969 Danbury Early Bay. ** SOLD **

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logicred

Reaction score
PHOTOS ON THE NEXT THREAD... PRICE ** SOLD **

BASED IN MID-NORFOLK. Absolutely no hurry to sell this. If it doesnt sell by the winter, I will keep it until next year. So no offers at the moment. Was hoping for a Karmann Ghia of similar value but as I am picky I suspect this won't happen. NO other swaps considered.

1969 Danbury conversion. MOT has two months left so will get another 12 months put on. Free tax obviously. Had this a couple of years and have done a few things to it. Lowered with dropped spindles so retains a nice ride. Recently fitted coilovers so absolutely no bottoming out.

Bottom line is, it's still reasonably ratty and was in primer when I had it. I have had a few repairs done and started to get some quotes to get it sprayed. I decided to roller it with a custom VW made up paint in original dove blue, so it's had one coat only. This was temporary so it would be protected and I was going to flat it down to give a dull worn look. I never flattened it as I used it quite a bit so it remains with one coat. You can remove it easily, or flatten and give it a few more coats. The roof is the same, so will need some more coats. Basically, if you know a decent body sprayer then this is the van for you.

OUTSIDE
Dove blue, white roof
Original danbury poptop. The canvas still needs some work to be pinned down to the body 100%, but the bulk of it is done. It's not quite as clean as the photos now! Will try and get some more pics. The danbury roof has a large opening which is braced all the way round so you can get up out of the back seat without banging your head! It's very airy.
Two hammocks in the roof.
Gutters great, will shortly supply photos
Underneath has had the usual welding over the years. Passed last years MOT with no problems.
Transporterhaus 3.5" dropped spindles
NEW coilover front shocks which have raised the van an inch
New brake master cylinder
New brakes with front slave cylinder
Partly new brake lines where they needed replacing.
Transporterhaus Adjustable rear springplates on the rear. Very smooth ride in fact and reasonably quiet.
New beetle shocks on the rear.
New pop top rubber seal.
Masses of receipts
New rear volkswagen script badge (not plastic cheap one)
New front door handles
New front door seals
New window rubbers
Soundproofing to floor and overhead engine bay.
Slight dent to rear valance.
Few small dents to front
New twin ariel
Small parcel shelf at passenger footwell area.
Front jacking point needs replacing, but I will supply this. Easy fix.
Orig wheels. Professionally coated
New hub caps
Avon AV10 front tyres
Front badge and air intake grill rubbed down for worn look.
Westy louvered windows. One re built with new seals
Replaced rear tailgate with rott free imported one.
Horn works as it should

INSIDE

Bluetooth stereo with CD player and SD slot etc. Speakers in door cards
New curtains. Double sided with matched magnets at the bottom.
New curtain track.
Ply door cards all round apart from the sliding door which has no door card. I can give you the ply to cut it in about 10 mins though!
Beautiful trimmed front seats.
Front carpet
Rubber mat in walk through section
Empi shifter, all gears work fine. No gearbox noise.
Speedo cable required, or speedo doesnt work (it's the original one with mileage reading at the bottom so correct for a '69)
Fuel gauge works, but sender does not. 100% sure its the sender as I cut an inspection hatch and replaced with new one which has gone wrong. Easy to replace or even fix if you strip it down.
One extra hole has been crudely cut into the dash next to the hazard switch
Front inertia seatbelts
Brand new rear inertia seatbelts and rear middle belt so belts for 5 people!
Original Westy hinged full width R+R Bed. The convering was a temporary covering but the foam is new and very good.
Memory foam topper which has been used twice and rolls nicely into a bag.
The front seat bulheads could do with covering.
There are no sun visors
Kustom camper interiors cooker unit with SMEV twin burner and sink. Electric tap with waste from sink coming out of the bottom of camper. Space for water container beneath and gas bottles.
2 x gas bottles, one full, one half full.
Interior light at front has a new bright low engery bulb which is ace
Rear has a small strip low energy led light which lights the whole van and is adjustable
Custom made overhead locker which is ace and has a flush push button/
Chequered floor with metal finishing strip. Bit grubby, could do with a good clean.
The cab area headlining is good.
The sliding door interior side has no paint and could do with some, or at least priming.

ENGINE
1.6 single port engine. Runs sweet, starts fine every time.
New push rod tubes.
New heater tubes to fan shroud.
VW Beetle exhaust. Excellent ground clearance, looks and sounds ace
Good heat exchangers although they are not connected to y piece under van which has rott to it. These can be replaced, the rest of the heating system is intact
Rebuilt carb
Stock dizzy
Flywheel oil seal replaced approx 1 year ago.
Leisure battery, and split charge relay although the battery was dead so I have removed but will replace with a small 12v battery or just leave everything in there and wire up the fusebox to the main battery.
New front fusebox and wiring to front of van from leisure battery.
Electric hookup hidden in engine bay and goes to a 4 way near the seat
Spare wheel and brace but no jack
Aftermarket air cleaner, original air cleaner bracket in engine bay has been hacked off.
Engine bay could do with a good clean and paint.
New battery tray

GENERAL POINTS
Comes with new front window rubber as the existing one is perished. Although doesnt let any water in
The door window rubbers/frames are not great. I will include one new set of seals+frame in the sale for you to fit.
The paint in the cab area is not great. It will ideally need stripping and painting.
I have a box full of spare bits which you can have with the van.

20140627_174845.jpg

20140627_174905.jpg

aged.jpg

20140627_174932.jpg

20140627_184741-1.jpg

20140627_174821.jpg

20140627_174806.jpg

bayzzz%20015.jpg

hi fella whereabouts in norfolk are you as i`d like to take a look pm me details if you like :mrgreen:
regards steve

Latest posts