1969 - GGL 468G

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skin69

Reaction score
It seems odd to start a thread now that my ownership has ended but here goes.

I have no pics of the old girl as she started out (shameful I know) but as this was some 12 years ago & before I'd embraced digital technology, there's a strong chance at some point I'll find some in a random suitcase next time I empty the loft. Let's just say that it was in need of some work & at the time I thought I'd never sell her, so she got a decent refurb.

Then she returned home for the rebuild & end up looking very usable but not concourse, which was just the van I wanted & needed. It meant I could us her & not feel nervous.

Following the rebuild she was enjoyed as intended whenever & for whatever was required.

Holiday in the lakes

Then our wedding

A trip to the Isle of White

As she looks now

Well you get the idea.
Like I said, the plan was to have a keeper but with a growing family & a house move without a garage meant I had no time or place to really keep her. Then in answer to a recent thread on here & a chat/viewing by Jamie, I realised that it was the right time & he was the right guy to become the new steward of this piece of VW history.

So as I end this 1st post I pass on to Jamie in the hope that he'll keep it updated so that I can keep an eye on her. I'm not disappearing as I was always more of a watch than publisher.

Jamie, please continue where I've left of & anymore pics I'll chuck on for you.

Cheers Nige..

No pictures to add just yet but after having the bus for a couple of months it's turning out to be a bit of a shed, unfortunately. Lots to do, including an engine rebuild and various hasty repairs which are hidden away but pretty severely in need of re-doing.

This is going to turn into a restoration thread I think.

Oh dear - What problems have you run into so far?

My first bus was the same, bought with all the welding done, had to undo pretty much all of it as it was just on top of rotten metal. A shame as the stuff on top was quite well done!

Ha, not many people spot that.

It was an aesthetic choice I think. I don't get it myself, but each to their own. I'm trying to figure out a decent way to get one back on there without buying a new door.

My first bus was the same, bought with all the welding done, had to undo pretty much all of it as it was just on top of rotten metal. A shame as the stuff on top was quite well done!

This, basically. Externally it looks ok. A bit rough but rough in that lived in sort of way rather than neglected. I'm finding a lot of gaping holes underneath the body work though and I they must have been there before any of the outer repairs were done.

I'll grab some photos when I've got some time and start a new thread I think. I don't want to come across like I'm trying to be a dick to the previous owner.

I'm not sure if this is going to cause any issues when I start work on the underside, but it's been noticed by someone with a keener eye than me that the front beam is from a late bay. That in itself is fine, functionally, but it looks like rather than being modded with new bolt holes it was welded in place so it's a permanent feature.

I'll see when I get round to it I guess.

If someone has welded the beam on :shock: I would be very cautious about any other work done on the van, that's an outrageous bodge. I would recommend you get someone really experienced to have a good look over the whole van before you sink any money into it. I've had a seemingly shiny and solid RHD bus restored and still it kept throwing up surprises.(sold it and bought a solid but scruffy import). Many years and lots of money later I wish I'd baled out soon after I bought it. Fingers crossed the rest is not so bad. Good luck!

Yeah, it's getting a proper going over this weekend.

I couldn't in good conscience sell it on as it is though

I had the exact same with my last bus, when I bought it I was shocked at the state of some of the work that had been carried out, I ended up selling and buying a LHD solid import - mainly because my welding skills are none existent and the other spannering stuff I can crack on with myself.

I ended up selling my shell to a guy who will restore it and hopefully end up with a dead cheap bus when he's done all the work himself!

How annoying! That bus of Mikey's was a great buy. A really solid bus with good provenance. I was amazed it hung around for so long. It was for sale when I was looking for my present bus but I couldn't quite imagine going to Ireland to view it. I feel for you, it's a minefield buying a bus.

Without dragging over lots of things in public, myself as the previous owner and the new owner have nipped any issues in the bud, so to speak. I'd like the thread to remain & I hope others agree. Life's short and occasionally it doesn't go as planned or as others hope. Fingers crossed any issues are easily resolved with my old bus & it becomes the bus he wants & personal to him.
I always said any questions please ask & the offer remains..
Now get on with some before/after pics.. ;)

Right, I'm learning. Slowly.

I took the bay to Autohaus Dolby in Sheffield for them to have a look at (they're awesome, by the way) and they've said that there's quite a bit that needs doing but not quite to the extent I originally thought. Still a lot, mind, but it's a positive.

The engine was running horribly for a bit. It'd cut out completely when the revs dropped (which isn't fun when you're going at 30mph+), wouldn't idle at all and had barely any power. Again Autohaus had a look, set the carbs up and cleaned the dirt out of them and it seems ok now. Replacement seals seems to have stopped a pretty nasty oil leak as well.

Anyway, since this is meant to be a gallery thread here's an engine bay picture. It needs a tidy up, there's a snipped bundle of wires there on the left for some reason (I'll be doing a full re-wiring at some point) and that oil filler cap is off the wrong type of vehicle.

20160207_114454.jpg

And I've just noticed the extinguisher pressure is low. Lovely.

I'm going to be taking the windows out of this when it's a bit warmer to check the frames are alright. Since that's already a pain in the arse job in itself I though I might as well do some painting while they're out.

I was thinking of replacing all the silver bits with pearl white (L87) but I'm not sure if the contrast would be right. Any opinions on what shade I should go for?

Also I know I'm a bit whiney whenever I post about this bus but I do actually enjoy owning it!

I hate the silver and any shade of white would look better!

Not sure what shade is best, pop down a decent paint place and see if they'll put some colour chips against it for you so you can make a decision?

I'd probably paint the roof white too if I was going to the trouble of doing the silver bits.

Owning an old bus is always about 90% moaning, 9% fixing and 1% driving! Somehow worth it though! haha.

georgeyv said:
I hate the silver and any shade of white would look better!

Not the most flattering colour for a bay is it? :? I like the red though.

I had considered painting the whole thing white but I havent got the capital ready to deal with whatever's lurking under the current paint.

For me, personally, I like white tops and bumpers, I don't think I've ever seen a bus that looks good with black bumpers or wheels. I've seen metallic bottom halves with white tops and bumpers that look ok. If I were you, I'd get the top (including the roof) and the bumpers blown over in a nice bright white, it'll look loads better and shouldn't cost that much, especially if you will already have the windows out.

Since youve said that I think im going to paint the silver bits red with the roof and bumpers white. Should look a lot nicer that way. Twice as much paint as my original plan though.