1970 DORMOBILE - COMPLETE RESTO - IT PASSED :)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cheers dude, yeah this was a bit of a blind buy on my part but i never expected this much, just everything i touch seems to have rotten or has filler in it :(, but getting there slowly

well today did a few fiddly jobs in the engine bay, put the tank back in, tested for leaks etc never 100% keen on the filler tube as its in great condition but never feels long enough

377.jpg

then i stonechipped the fireguard and it looks lovery

378.jpg

379.jpg

and in situ

380.jpg

yeah i love the stone chip effect, as my last bay i went mad and stonechipped the entire van in black :D

stonebay.jpg

bit mad i know but never got round to putting the double yellow lines hehe, hust got sick of everyone at shows rubbing there hands over it hehe

well today i finished the welding in the engine bay area, around the rear corner supports

381.jpg

it was the same on both sides so cut out the rot and made some templates and then welded in the new steel

382.jpg

383.jpg

also finished the window lip as there was a little bit of rot near the corner and thought well why not :)

384.jpg

loverly and welded in place
385.jpg

ground back and primed ready for a skim
386.jpg

then i remembered a nast nasty bit on the roof just above the sliding door under the poptop

387.jpg

just started to cut it out then remembered photo :)

made a nice template cut the steel and welded it into place
388.jpg

ground back and primed as it will need a bit of filler to get the buldge line back
389.jpg

an finally did a bit of rust repair on the o/s door top

390.jpg

today i have done a bit of a clearout an redone my list of work to do and im soooo happy after so long, if im right and checked everything, i only have 2-3 bits of welding left to do on the van, the engine lid rear, o/s front door and a shock mount with a tiny hole

yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

the next few days im going to get all the welding done on the main body then i could concentrate on the doors and engine lid which are minor repairs.

today i did the ns rear bump stop mount, which had a big hole, but as im going lowwwwww, i thought i might aswell removed the mountsand do the repair nice and invisible.

removed the mount and cut a piece the fit
391.jpg

392.jpg

393.jpg

welded ground back and the primed

394.jpg

395.jpg

then i repaired the inner chassis rail by the gearbox, noticed it was rotten on the bottom end so removed and placed

396.jpg

then installed some new handbrake cable tubes but had cut and weld in once place as the cable head would not get through the tubes bent area between the outriggers

397.jpg

398.jpg

no pics today not much point,

refitted the brake servo and ran a new set of brake lines as the old ones were blocked [no wonder i couldnt stop]

well past couple of days ive been doing certain jobs which are the boring ones, refitting the brakes, handbrake cables, clutch, accelerator cables etc, and i also painted the cab area white to see what it looks like

399.jpg

then i sanded and primed the dash top, its recently been painted in white but came out crap so will do it again
400.jpg

and i have also undersealed the majority of the van, just got the area on the front wheel arches left to do as i ran out :)
401.jpg

this aft i fed the wiring loom from front to back,

over the weekend i went to cornwall and picked up a sliding door, needs the lower repair panels but for £30 i aint gonna argue :)

today my front shocks arrived and my front brake hoses, so i fitted those and connected the brake hoses and bled the system, i used a gunson ezibleed, absoloutely awesome bit of kit, connect it to a tyre for air pressure and it pushes the fluid through when you open the bleed nipples, just noticed one wheel very stiff and wont turn freely so going to take hub off and see if the cylinders are knackered.

also put the dash front back on and the speedo pod in and put some connectors onn the wires in the engine bay ready for the engine as i want to get it in and do a compression test.

ok well today i have pics, and seeing as the missus wants to take it to vanfest in whatever condition (haha) id better do some long nights

ok, after a few days waiting for my new sliding door panels to arrive from backorder i can say ill never again get a sliding door sking from GSF, the JK is superb and has shape to it

402.jpg

403.jpg

ok after marvelling at the panel i chopped the bottom of the door of and lined up the inner skin

404.jpg

once happy, i tack welded a few times to keep it in place took the door of and welded it on firmly :)

407.jpg

then put the door back on and lined up the outer skin, to get the bottom door gap to match the others, i used my joggler and slid the lower skin under the old panel as it wont warp as much whilst welding

405.jpg

once happy tacked, took the door off and welded it in position, taking my time and having a panel hammer handy

back on and welded

408.jpg

409.jpg

now to do the other little bits on the door, but cant do it now as missus sleeping so no grindy grindy, but i put the engine back in, just got to work out why starter motor wont disengage when engine is in but does when its out, im guessing cause its an old battery and its knackered

Fair play chap, coming on well 8)

just got to work out why starter motor wont disengage when engine is in but does when its out, im guessing cause its an old battery and its knackered

I think i had that once, iirc it turned out to be the bush in the gearbox not matching the starter, is it the same one that came off your van?

Of course i could be talking complete ballacks........lol

Latest posts