1970 Rolling Resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well the 700 mile trip to cornwall and back was flawless. Bus ran like a dream albeit 55mph at 3,500rpm can get a little boring. All parked up at the Cider festival with my friends split

IMG_7489.JPG

My friend didn't quite have the same uneventful journey back due to a suspected fuel line split

IMG_7497 (2).PNG

Fortunately, he had the full VW aircooled works kit installed, although the fire did reignite after this went off and another fire extinguisher he had with him finally finished it off. Everyone involved all okay

Wow really awesome looking busses!
Damn! So glad the fire didn’t get worse and everyone was alright. How did he notice the fire? Don’t split windows have a firewall to the tank? Didn’t know they had a hatch above either, why was it removed for the earlybays??
Sparkywig 😂

The ‘Firewall’ only began for 1969 model year. I think buses look better with than no firewall. The hatch in the engine deck must have been done by an owner later on I imagine as that is not standard.

Wow really awesome looking busses!
Damn! So glad the fire didn’t get worse and everyone was alright. How did he notice the fire? Don’t split windows have a firewall to the tank? Didn’t know they had a hatch above either, why was it removed for the earlybays??
Sparkywig 😂
First thing was the engine bay extinguisher going off, apparently its pretty loud but also has a warning light you can put on the dash to show its activated
And yes Mike is correct, its a T25 hatch but my friend put it in for access, works well

Another great summer with the bay
Back in May went along to Retro Rides Weekender at Goodwood with some friends from my Classic mini days. Had some track time in my friends VTEC powered orange mini which was terrifying. A really great show with a great variety of cars
IMG_4461.JPG

A festival in Wales was next on the agenda, a faultless 300-mile round trip
IMG_7985.JPG

And after using the bus for our own wedding we had a few requests from friends and family for their weddings which all went smoothly
IMG_8058.JPG

After thinking I was done with the bus for the year last month I saw a cry for help on Facebook for a wedding vehicle so thought I would help out. Pulling up to the hotel to pick up the bride and bridesmaids I heard a small ting from the clutch as the clutch cable snapped...
IMG_8205.JPG
Luckily the Bride was very understanding and relaxed and with a few clunks and grinds I managed to get them all to the church on time
I didn't fancy the 20-mile trip home in rush hour with no clutch and although I carry a spare cable I got towed back to the workshop to replace it properly rather than rushing it at the side of the road
All sorted now with Schofields parts and tucked away for winter

Latest posts