1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking awesome man!
Phew the engine bar just missed the oil pipe !
Bet you’re sooo looking forward to sparking it up, I am actually too 😄
Wishing you all the best!

Looking awesome man!
Phew the engine bar just missed the oil pipe !
Bet you’re sooo looking forward to sparking it up, I am actually too 😄
Wishing you all the best!

Plenty of room 😬

I can’t wait either, should be a 200hp engine without the nitrous 💪🏻

Busy day today

Lifting a 2276 built in an Autolinea case from the repurposed witkap beer crate engine stand to my trolley Jack was nearly poo inducing 😂

Put 30 litres of v-power in (that hurt) 😂 tested the fuel system as it had been dormant for 7 months. Then made & fitted the last 2 oil lines, filled the oil filter up, removed the rockers & push rods then spun it over for oil pressure 😎 light when out very quickly which is always nice. Will re fit valve train & lash the valves tomorrow, fit new breather pipes, plugs and wire it up then it’s cam burn time 😬💪🏻

Busy day today

Lifting a 2276 built in an Autolinea case from the repurposed witkap beer crate engine stand to my trolley Jack was nearly poo inducing 😂

Put 30 litres of v-power in (that hurt) 😂 tested the fuel system as it had been dormant for 7 months. Then made & fitted the last 2 oil lines, filled the oil filter up, removed the rockers & push rods then spun it over for oil pressure 😎 light when out very quickly which is always nice. Will re fit valve train & lash the valves tomorrow, fit new breather pipes, plugs and wire it up then it’s cam burn time 😬💪🏻

That looks stonking!

All back together and ready to go but will wait till Monday as I need a new throttle cable 🙄

Glad I’m not a super cool kid with mega slammed bus as the new berg sump is bigger than I thought 😂

Still enough clearance for it not to be an issue though 👌🏻

All back together and ready to go but will wait till Monday as I need a new throttle cable 🙄

Glad I’m not a super cool kid with mega slammed bus as the new berg sump is bigger than I thought 😂

That deep sump looks well solid - Take it you have no bother with jacking the engine up from it?
Think mine might be an empi thin one, with a canny gap between it and the bottom of the case;
Always been in 2 minds if it is strong enough to support the weight of the engine without damaging the casing or the tiny threads that it's used to attach it.

That deep sump looks well solid - Take it you have no bother with jacking the engine up from it?
Think mine might be an empi thin one, with a canny gap between it and the bottom of the case;
Always been in 2 minds if it is strong enough to support the weight of the engine without damaging the casing or the tiny threads that it's used to attach it.
Yeah it’s a stout lump, as with all Gene Berg products it’s over engineered which isn’t a bad thing. Nope jacking an engine up on a deep sump is never a problem. Be careful not to take any of the buses weight on it though as you’ll run the risk of damaging it.

That looks stonking!
Cos it is 😆

was battling the Ida’s a little today, connected the fuel system up to them and when I turn the pump on to fill the float chambers up they both pissed fuel out of the pump jets and the boosters 😒🙄 So carbs off and stripped down. Found 1 needle valve had stuck open and the other needed the float height adjusted. So a few hours fucking about with the carbs it’s all good to go when the throttle cable arrives

Great looking, awesome work.

Big man came over today, couple little niggles we had to sort but it runs a dream.

Niggle 1: Don’t ever use the oil pressure relief springs which come with an CB super race case, they are too strong and we had 85psi of oil pressure at idle 🫣 Found some OG German springs in my stash, problem solved. 25psi @ 1000rpm at 180f oil temp and goes up to a max of 55psi as the rpm goes up

Niggle 2: An o-ring on the blanking plug of a spare port on my filter mount had dried out and split so was leaking under pressure.

AFR is pretty much spot on too 👌🏻

Spent today tinkering: fan belt adjusted, oil leak sorted, oil & filter changed and valve lash check. Valves needed zero adjustment which is a good thing after the cam burn 👌🏻 Flushed the cooler and the lines, and filled with fresh Lucas 20w50. After doing all that I spent the afternoon playing about with the carbs and jetting. Sounding fierce now 😈 but due to the beastly nature of IDA’s it still needs a little bit more delicate tuning to get the drivability spot on.

Spent today tinkering: fan belt adjusted, oil leak sorted, oil & filter changed and valve lash check. Valves needed zero adjustment which is a good thing after the cam burn 👌🏻 Flushed the cooler and the lines, and filled with fresh Lucas 20w50. After doing all that I spent the afternoon playing about with the carbs and jetting. Sounding fierce now 😈 but due to the beastly nature of IDA’s it still needs a little bit more delicate tuning to get the drivability spot on.

Looks and sounds amazing! That throttle response!

Latest posts