1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granted, but this is all new and wrinkles need to be ironed, then Herbies also need to get flattened, maybe . :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,it’s lookin good :cool:
Exactly, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Once I get the tune dialled in 100% then with the nitrous running and on my slicks it may well be a closer rematch 😉

Took the bus for a blast to the workshop this morning. Had a tinker with the carbs as it’s running a bit rich on idle. Swapped the idle air jets from 120’s to 130’s then reset the mixtures which has brought the AFR closer to where I’d like it. Drives nice too, nice n crisp through the revs, will order some slightly smaller idle fuel jets too try and get it even closer 👌🏻

After that I gave it all a clean and just checked everything over as I’ve racked up 450 miles on the 2276 so far. Once I get tk 500 I’ll change the oil, filter and lash the valves.

Will be pulling the engine over winter as I’ve managed to source a complete OG tinware set which will be much nicer fitting and better quality than the after market stuff it has now. Plus I think I’ll be taking my gearbox to Cogbox as it’s a bit leaky 🙄 might even discuss some improvements with Pete 😜

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to 560 miles with the 2276 yesterday, so I gave it an oil & filter change, drained the oil lines and the remote cooler then checked the valve lash. Oil was nice & clean, I also cut the oil filter open and there was no signs of concern in there. Valve lash needed the most tiny about of adjustment too so all is well 👌🏻 I dropped down form 20w50 to 10w40 oil but it’s still lucas racing which although expensive has a nice blend of additives, zinc and a strong film strength. Pressures are still great even with a lighter oil, 25psi at hot idle working it’s way up to 60psi at 6500rpm and it ran a few degrees cooler too which is never bad.

Also a mate of mine send me a video from bugjam, however he stopped recording without realising 🙄😂 so it’s only got my burnout 😂

If nothing else it sounds great 😂

I decided to retire my faithful Audi Allroad, poor old thing was getting tired.

So bus has been my daily for the past 3 weeks and will carry on being so until I’m able to go collect my ‘new’ BMW. But I’m enjoying using the bus in the is lovely weather, I built it to be driven so that’s what’s happening 😎💪🏻

Even though the ‘experts’ say big engines in buses with big cams, 48’s and high compression ratios are unreliable and crap to drive…. Off to Viva Skeg Vegas in ot Friday too 😎

Isn't it smooth with that speed?
Is it smooth? Yes very, I’ve put a lot of time into playing with tyre pressure snd getting the suspension & tracking dialled, it’s got the Bilstien shocks from T2D which although expensive are superb. I know it’s naughty 🤫😆 but I’ll happily sit at 85mph although it drinks fuel like you wouldn’t believe. It does get a bit twitchy at 100 though 😂

However…. Although it drives lovely for a lowered bus with a narrowed beam it’s still no M3 and you have to be careful in the bends.

261 uneventful miles to viva skeg vegas and back on 1 tank of fuel 😎 Made a pit stop at Stu Cully’s in watlington, Norfolk who joined then the convoy to skeg, stu heard us approaching and filmed me entering the village. (Had to show off a little bit) 😆

Gave everything a wipe over and changed a leaky rocker cover gasket which has started drilling over the no3 j tube on the way home.

I’m loving this engine, the 2110 was quick and dependable but this 2276 was worth every penny 😃 it’s ready for a sniff of nitrous next year

More miles, even if it is just down to the pub. Got chatting to a very nice American chap called Deke who was on holiday from California. He absolutely loved it, had a 68 westy back in the early late 80’s 90’s. He thought the engine was awesome too 😎

It’s all plumbed up and ready to go. Just need a day on the dyno to set up and jet the nitrous system. Would have been nice to get it going this season but I literally ran out of time 🤦🏻 Few little alterations over winter too 😏

Latest posts