• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 Tintop Westy 68k from new FSH rot free import 1914cc

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattp

Reaction score
£15k, location Leatherhead, Surrey.

My van for the last 10years, bought as a 1 owner from new FSH westy with 68k miles, I have the original bill of sale and history, it is a LHD US import.

I bought it as didn't want another VW I had to weld and the body was original, rust free and battery tray aside, unwelded (the whole van was in brilliant condition).

I've had the body flatted back and re-painted in the original colour as the paint was showing it’s age with fading and some stone chips. At the same time I have carried out some subtle mods such as later engine inspection hatch installed, inspection covers for BN4 heater and fuel tank sender and later bay gearbox centre mount so box stays but when engine is removed. I've also added RHD seat mounts so both seats move forward back and recline.

I sold off the original engine, box, beam, brakes, interior and wheels and replaced with items as follows:

Engine: New 1914cc oxyboxer, comes with new external oil cooler and fan (cooler and fan to be fitted). Currently fitted on temp 1600 g.box, new g.box supplied. SS single pack exhaust, heat exchangers

Gearbox: Rebuilt 6 rib 091 with taller 4th New, to be fitted

Front suspension: New K+L front suspension with disc brake spindles, new shocks

Front brakes: All new brakes, genuine parts inc ATE callipers (5*112 PCD) –even M/C is new

Rear suspension: Original, removed, stripped and repainted, carriers blasted, re-painted and new bearings, new shocks

Rear brakes: All new genuine parts (inc. backing plates)

Steering: Original steering box and column, box in excellent condition -only 68k miles from new

Gearshift: Original, removed, stripped, painted and new bushes throughout

Dashboard: Original padded dash or painted Euro spec, choice of either. Dash top is original, stripped and re-painted. Clocks are original. Dash top needs re-fitting, current dash fitted is the original padded one.

Cab seats: Both are original VW drivers seats, stripped and re-painted, no missing springs or interlinks, new WCM horsehair pads. No covers, you need to buy and fit covers. Operating knobs are new MCJ black ali reproductions of original plastic items.

Interior: New roof/interior panels, new floor (copies of original items but in new plywood), original J & H channel. Interior is Westfalia ¾ R&R inc wardrobe, buddy seat, table, sink/cooler unit and stool. Mustard vinyl on seats is original and in good condition for age but you may wish to have re-covered to match front seats. There is no vinyl for the floor, you’ll need to supply and fit this yourself. Interior has been ½ restored (so re-glued/pinned/sanded/varnished) so VGC but will need re-fitting.

Window seals: New, (Viweb, Genuine & WCM), this includes full cab door seal kits. New WCM seal kits (supplied not fitted) for the louvred windows included (windows work fine as they are)

Cab doors: Opening ¼ windows which have been re-build with new seals, lock and winder mechs cleaned and re-greased. Deluxe style winder handle upgrade.

Locks: All external locks on 1 key, iginition is original and on separate key (as it came from factory). Engine lid is locking. Chrome is in very good condition.

Heating: There is a fully restored BN4 to slot into place (all brackets and hole installed so ready to go), also has heat exchangers on engine. The front totem has been removed for paint so needs re-fitting along with the plastics between that and the dash front (all included inc rare original seals)

Bumpers: Good straight original bumpers, need painting correct shade of white as rear is off white, cab steps blasted and painted black so want re-paint in white, mid section of front bumper still original but would recommend repaint with others. There is a new Westy repro (Gadget Boy) towbar, front brackets original (been blasted and painted)

Spares / options:

Power steering column and 1 off Motolita steeling wheel with snap off FIA approved boss (wonderful wheel and security feature)

Box full of MCJ aluminium reproduction items for knobs, pulls etc in black, includes front cab inner pull handles

Set of mint ¾ side glass and quarter lights if you want to go down the route of removing the Westy louvred windows for the microbus look

RHD conversion, I have a pedal cut and mint euro spec dash front if you want to convert to RHD, I also have a mint early RHD cast steering box and pitman arm along with a RHD MC reservoir and pipe from internal reservoir to MC.

It has no MOT but will start and run, last major trip was EBI 2 (before re-paint and re-built) and I have only done 1k miles since so I am not using it enough to warrant keeping it.

I have probably spend £20k on it and bought it when bus prices weren't stupid so £15k seems right and the guys at my local VW club have suggested it is a fair price.

Tyre kickers not welcome, the price is firm

If you have £15k then please come over and have a look

Matt 07715 623 564

Up for a new season.

Bus in same condition, just a few months older

I have had some 'what will you take messages', I'm open to discussion on price if you are standing in front of me waving a big wad of cash.

Latest posts