1971 Acoustic sound panels above engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dci_Carter

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to fit two metal panels above the engine that holds the acoustic sound deadening but I'm not sure I have the right panels, does anyone have pictures or parts diagrams showing the different types?

Really appreciate any pic

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have a 71,but it has the hardboard type of panels. I think the metal ones were from late bays.

Hmm I've got some people saying they were metal then changed to cardboard, don't suppose you have a pic? Cheers

These are what I have
dd16f8dd57918a77806d9a1abb6deae6.jpg

Hi , mines a 70 and has a cardboard type panel in it. I recently broke a 72 that had insulation and the metal panel the same as above. They are currently in my garage awaiting fitting and are number one hundred and twenty three on my to do list. By recently, it might have been ten years ago :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, it all takes time :mrgreen:

Does anyone know what this original acoustic sound deadening is? Does it contain asbestos, for example?

Maybe it would be worth replacing it with a modern equivalent. Has anybody does this?

Hi, you can get the original style fibreboard from Rackhams of Ipswich (they have a facebook page and website), great fit and even came with the fixing rivets. Origanally it would have had fibreglass wool behind it but I replaced mine with a fireproof sound deadening foam with a foil surface.

I'd also recommend the Rackhams engine board, with noisekiller lead sandwich which is foil faced and self adhesive, it is a sheet of lead sandwiched inside acoustic foam and is 12mm thick overall

Latest posts