• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Deluxe Tintop with Great Patina in Sierra Yellow

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squareweave

Reaction score
Well, I have had to do some heavy thinking and due to the need for space I have come to conclusion that I have to sell a vehicle. I've had sleepless nights (literally) trying to figure out what to let go of and I have decided to sell this 71 Sierra Yellow tintop deluxe. :( I though I would list it here first due to the fact that I shared the build thread with all of you. It's a bad ass OG paint bus that just needs nothing.

1971 Deluxe Tintop with Great Patina in Sierra Yellow, Super Solid and Beautiful Bus!

A lot of time, money and patience has gone into building this bus. Instead of a restoration I opted to save its beautiful patina and perform a very thorough preservation. It takes a perfect storm of weather, time and the proper vehicle to achieve a uniform look as this bus has. In a sea of project busses for sale this bus is waiting for the person that wants a turn key driver.

The body is bus is rust free with original paint and has a killer patina. There has been small preservational blends done in an effort in keeping the bus as original as possible after its 44 years of service. It is an early 71 so it has the rare round lip (early 71 only) rear fenders. This bus was undercoated from the factory so I painstakingly stripped all of the undercoating from the inner fenders and frame to reveal mint original Sierra yellow paint. It has original polished aluminum belt line moldings, accessory VW stamped fresh air grill trims, all original Hella side markers, front and rear signals. All of the window rubber is new along with new correct deluxe trim. All of the vent windows work perfect and all have working locks. All of the tempered glass is matching . The bumpers have been powdercoated along with the VWoA bumper guards that sport NOS rubber. The front wipers assemblies are NOS as well.

The interior is very original and a strong companion to the original paint exterior. I took great pride in sourcing nice, complete original interior panels and seats. The rear seat has an original Z Product Z bed complete with (often missing) middle seat extenders. This set up allows the factory rear seat to fold out flat into a bed while still maintaining microbus seating when put back in the upright position. The best of both worlds! The original headliner is in perfect shape without any holes or tears. The rear cargo area received new correct grey carpet and the cargo area panels were retrimmed in correct black vinyl. Other interior details to note are a working am/fm sapphire radio, earlybay clock, accessory shifter extension, original jail bars and a 5th real Fuchs 901 part number 15” Fuchs wheel.

Mechanically this bus runs a stock 1600cc dual port with a 002 transmission. All of the engine tin has been treated to a coat of semi gloss powdercoat. All of the hardware was silver cadmium plated. I wanted a good reliable driver so I installed a new alternator, CB performance low pressure electric fuel pump, NOS Bosch 019 distributor, new coil and PICT 34 carb. The exhaust is a new stock bus unit but was ceramic coated. The bus runs and shifts flawless.

Suspension wise the bus received up front a 5” narrowed and 1” raised Wagonswest ball joint beam, 2.5” Wagonswest dropped spindles with custom shock mounts to keep the shocks completely vertical. Out back it was given Slamwerks (UK) 22mm dropped adjustable spring plates mated to a set of Wagenswest 3.5” horseshoe plates. All of the suspension was either powdercoated black or painted with proper automotive paint. All of the OG hardware was cadmium plated silver. Every brake component was replaced and the bus stops like a new car. The wheels are (Al Reed restored) Genuine Porsche Deep 6 rears and 5.5”x15” fronts wrapped in brand new matching tires. All of the front steering tie rods and drag link is new. Nothing was overlooked mechanically on this van and is as clean on the underside as the topside.

Overall this is an excellent and great looking example of a desirable earlybay. It is a best case scenario body and interior accompanied by some refined Cal style touches. This along with arguably being the best year of a bay set the stage for a great driving and looking bus.

$32500usd obo

I would encourage seriously interested parties to call for a much more detailed description and specifications

A full album of pictures can be found here:

garytype2 said:
Sorry but is the price correct? $ 32500 = £22384?

I would guess yes it is, Awesome bus with ridiculous amount of meticulous work done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts