• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 LHD Elm Green Californian Import

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lobsterpot

Reaction score
1971 Bay Window in the lovely and rare "Elm Green". Early bay looks with first of the Disc brakes. I imported this bus myself from Bakersfield California in 2014 and then carried out a full refurb. I was previously a member of this forum but for some reason cannot log in? I must say that I could not have got my bus to where it is now without the help and information of this forum and its members :)

This bus was in such good condition it was a shame to touch it (I have photos) but I really wanted it to be nice and shiny although I do like the patina look now. It is a Deluxe model with quarter light openers with chrome trim. All aluminium belt line is original, deluxe clock, Safari rear window with genuine VW jail bars. It also has 'Ambulance' fans fitted which are a treat on a hot day. Rusty Lee full width rock and roll bed, rear seat belts, solid Oak floor, full upholstery and seats re-foamed. Seats were stripped and repainted too. Full length TMI headliner fitted too which really sets it off. Other new parts which are best quality are.... Sun visors, floor mat, all new door seals and window rubbers (Wolfsburg west). A lot of time has been spent on detail, hours spent on all the door cards which are fitted with OEM clips so no cups and washers on show. The bus is basic, I never fitted a cooker or anything, just used it for days out and knocking about through the summer. I can hand on hart say it has never not started or caused any problems, only time it stopped going was when I ran out of petrol 30 yards from my house. I do treat it very well though and never hammer it anywhere.i was going to fit a stereo but never got round to it, just didn't feel like I needed one and too many other jobs to do round the house. Blank canvas there for the new owner.
It went straight through its first MOT, last year I did a couple of wheel bearings and a rear brake hose, that's it. This is my first Bay Window so really did not know what I was looking at when I bought it but people who have seen it cannot believe how solid it is. I recently had it wax oiled underneath but i have loads of photos before to show there is no rust.
I am selling as I need a bigger vehicle, I will be very sad to see her go but you can't keep them all. I have never enjoyed driving a vehicle like I have with this, not sure what it is, just puts a big smile on my face.
It was painted locally by Ross Packard Paintshop who do Ferrari and Mazzarati's. The engine had been rebuilt when I got it so just serviced it regularly and kept it in oil.
I could go on for hours about all the bits done and finishing detail, if your interested give me a call and I can go through it.

Price £18,495

Located in Dorset.

I forgot to say she had the front brakes done a few miles ago. New seals and pads and pins etc, Pistons were like new:) stops a treat now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts