• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 RHD Early with TDi Engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pow

Reaction score
Here we have for sale my beloved 1971 Early Bay VW T2 with a few differences!

I bought the van in 2012 in a disassembled state and spent a year putting back together and making improvements along the way!
The van has had an engine conversion and now runs a 1Z TDI 90bhp engine from a late Audi 80. The entire car was bought as a donor, the engine was professionally fitted by Nigel Allen VW in Newquay and makes the van super reliable. Before fitting the engine, it was treated to all new belts, filters and gaskets. The engine at fitting point had under 100,000 miles on it - anyone who knows VW diesels knows how reliable they are! It starts on the button every time and will drive all day long without an issue. The radiator is mounted under the van so as not to spoil the look of the van from the outside. An access hatch for the engine has been made over the top of the engine where most of the engine maintenance can take place from - access to the engine is probably better than in the standard car! Other advantages of the engine conversion include no fire risks and a high amp-age alternator. It is mated to a totally rebuilt gearbox, professionally done by BEARS Motorsport in Birmingham. It has had a new taller 3rd and 4th gear fitted to bring the revs down at 'higher' speeds, so the van cruises very comfortably at 60/65 returning 40/45MPG all day long. It also has a 2.0 ring and pinion, so the 'gaps' between the gears are larger. The gearbox has only done about 4000 miles since it's rebuild so it will do many many more miles before even requiring any attention. The modified engine loom is mated to a brand new modern built T2 body loom with a blade style fusebox so no dodgy wiring.

Underneath the van is very good with no areas of concern with regards to rust of welding. It recently flew through an MOT with no advisories so it comes with 12 months MOT. It is also free to tax under historic rules. Insurance is cheap, I am currently 25 with an accident on my file and my years' insurance is less than £240 with Adrian Flux.

The van has a Devon style poptop (the van was originally a Devon conversion) which elevates straight up giving even the tallest person room to stand up straight in back. The bellows are in good condition and without any major holes or any rips or tears. The arms have recently been painted and look very nice. They hold the roof up strongly showing the springs are in good condition. The roof has very recently been painted over in a flexible paint to ensure it's watertightness - those who know Devon roofs will know that they have a terrible tendency to leak. I have recently taken the entire roof off the van, stripped it down and refurbished it to ensure it will last for many more years. All of the screws, nuts, bolts and seals were renewed at this time. I have also upgraded the clips that hold the roof steady when driving to a stronger locking type as the factory ones can be of questionable quality! Lastly, a new skylight has been fitted as the old one had cracked in the sun.

Inside, a new full with rock and roll bed has been fitted with new 4" thick foam cushions, recently covered in a cotton material. The bed folds up and down with ease and provides a really comfortable bench and bed. Under the rock and roll bed are two speakers linked to the stereo in the front, a new ZIG unit that controls the leisure electrics, a 240v breaker panel and a twin 240v socket. The van is fully equipped with camping electrics, a 240v socket is located underneath on the drivers size that is hooked into an RCD breaker. This then powers four sockets inside the van and also a 12v battery charger for the leisure battery. The leisure battery powers the internal lights, radio, the fridge and the ignitor for the Propex heater. The leisure battery also charges when the van is started and the alternator is operational. Behind both front seats are a pair of bespoke designed and made cabinets - one containing a 12/240v fridge and drawers with a work surface on top and the other containing a fresh water carrier and the Propex heater with a dual ring hob and small sink and tap on top. All of the gas has been plumbed professionally and has been terminated to a locked cabinet on the underside of the van, so the gas bottle sits outside the van while camping. I find this is much safer than having operational gas onboard. The van will come with a 7kg bottle with some gas remaining. Also, over the engine deck and under the rock and roll bed two-part sound deadening insulation has been fitted to reduce cabin noise.

Upfront, the dashboard has been power coated matt black on top and cream on the front. It has a new middle section with a din sized hole for a stereo (van will come with a Sony CD player fitted) and three 52mm holes for standard sized gauges. Currently, there is only a water temperature gauge installed. There original clocks are fitted and the speedo and fuel gauge work perfectly - a new fuel sender has been fitted. I have also made and fitted an intermittent wiper relay and converted the standard pump washers to electric type. Under the dash are two speakers with tweeters mounted on top of the dash. Two cream heated (operational!) seats are fitted which are very comfortable and suit the van well. They both slide forwards and back and adjust in height. One key fits all doors and the ignition (the passenger door however is difficult to lock and unlock from the outside - never found this a problem as I would jump in the drivers door and unlock it from the inside).
The van in carpeted throughout in the same hard wearing carpet, insulated throughout with camper-friendly insulation (foil wrapped bubbles, polystyrene and celotex). All doorcards and headlining have been trimmed in the same leatherette material.

Please ignore the terrible wheels fitted in the pictures, the van comes with 4 original wheels with nearly-new van specification tyres fitted (as they should be) - the wheels fitted in the pictures (also included) are to bring the van low enough to clear the roll-up garage door at my house!! There are also four hubcaps included with the van. There is also a spare 5th good wheel included.

Being totally honest, the paintwork is the slight let down on this van. It has bubbled slightly in a few places and would suit someone who could give the bodywork a little time and TLC. I have caught the NSR of the van on a low wall (in Barcelona!) so it does have a little scrape behind the wheel arch. The passenger door could also do with a little adjustment as it is a tight fit currently. All of the door and window rubbers are brand new and cost hundreds to purchase! The van comes with a proper original early front bumper with irons and steps which is worth over £500 on it's own and a proper early style fiberglass rear bumper, mounted to original irons.

The van comes with a full MOT, a folder jam packed full of receipts and invoices totaling well over the asking price. It is up for sale as it was a split venture between myself and my now ex-girlfriend. We travelled around Europe during 2013 in the van and it took us many many trouble free miles. I will be VERY sad to see the van go however needs must as I have now bought a house and working in public sector only pays you so much!! The van comes with boxes full of spares, curtains, spare carpet and a £300 drive-away awning.

I am asking £11,000 for the van. Please feel free to contact me on 07795 202202 to discuss the van (I will check back on here but phone is much better for me) - I work in education so sometimes answering the phone can be difficult but I will get back to you as soon as possible. I welcome anyone to come and view if they are serious about purchasing, the van is based in Windsor. I am happy to take anyone for a test drive as long as I have prior warning (so I can fit the correct wheels in preparation!).

Many thanks for reading. David.

image00004.jpg

image00005.jpg

image00006.jpg

image00002.jpg

image00007.jpg

image00001.jpg

image00008.jpg

image00003.jpg

Forgot to mention - the brakes are disks and pads up front (with new disks and pads in 2013 - less than 4k ago), the rears are drums which have had new cylinders, springs and pins in my ownership. Very recently the upper fluid chamber and pipe has been replaced and also during my ownership it has had new rear brake pipes.

Also - the van had a new clutch fitted before the engine and gearbox were installed. So much work has gone into the van!

Latest posts