• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1972 Custom Devon RHD 1641cc. crossover - DEPOSIT TAKEN

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mangobay

Reaction score
DEPOSIT TAKEN, PROVISIONALLY SOLD

The Mangobay for sale

20140811_125601.jpg

Here is a full file of photos, including close-ups, mostly recent, some taken on a recent trip to Jersey:
http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/mangobay/library/The%20Mangobay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Superb condition family camper van, that has been a part of our family since our first child was born 9 years ago.
UK vehicle, purchased by us as a running MOT'd vehicle in summer 2007. Underwent a complete bare metal restoration with rebuild over the winter of 07/08. Has been dry stored and well cared-for ever since, barely goes out in the rain (only if caught short camping!). I would estimate it has done about 5000 -6000 miles since the restoration. Restoration was carried out by Moores/Autokampers of Clevedon, they still have pictures of the bus on their website:
http://www.mooresmotorcars.co.uk/Interiors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The care and attention that these guys invested in the resto was amazing (and so a bit costly!). I have pages of receipts and CD roms worth of photos of the restoration. The depth and quality of paintwork is fantastic (better than stock) and it looks as good today as it did when finished. In all the time we have owned it, it has never broken down (apart from one flat battery) and never let us down, never failed an MOT and hardly ever even had an advisory. Everyone that ever works on it is amazed by it, and its a real head turner. The bottom-colour is actually a split screen colour, Mango Green.

Bodywork
In excellent condition, no rust as you would expect. The van hardly ever sees outside in the winter months. There are a few nicks here and there in the paintwork given the use its had since repaint but nothing that doesnt need pointing out. If I were going to keep the bus I would probably next year have the bumpers repainted, particularly the rear one, which is such a cheap self-contained task. There is a little staining from the exhaust and a couple of chips where people have driven into me in car parks etc. Otherwise in superb condition with a real shine and depth to the colour - hopefully evident from the photos. All wax oiled underneath and in the various cavities. Aluminium side step is helpful for little ones but can be easily removed as it just fixes to the jacking points. Sliding door works perfectly. All replacement panels used were good quality panels; all work available in photo history as mentioned.

Mechanics
Clive at Moores has always looked after the bus and is a genius. At the resto he went through it with a toothcomb, reworked suspension set up, gear linkages, brakes etc. It is now set up really well, gears select easily (Empi shifter), handles nicely, the front end is slightly lowered (Adjustable beam) but just enough to take out some of the play from a stock bus – never bottoms out etc and still very practical for camping. This model, being the crossover, has the late-bay disc brakes making it much more pleasant to drive (less scary!). I just had the bus tuned and a drag-link arm on the steering changed as I noticed the bushes were worn. Otherwise its in really good working order and drives very well – I am happy for it to be subject to any inspection. Runs on pretend Porsche Fuchs wheels; I also have some Cosmic wheels that I could throw in for the purchaser if they prefer them. Bus is MOT'd to 1 July 2017.

Engine
The bus has the same 1641 engine in it that it had when I bought it. I don't know its history although I suspect its a mexican replacement engine. It pulls really strongly. It is very comfortable at 65mph on the motorway and will happily jump to 70 for the odd overtake. It has original oil-bath air filter, single carb, stock exhaust. Starts first time every time, even after long winter lay-ups. I have fitted a simple rev counter and the all-important oil temp gauge to keep an eye on things ay the back.

Interior
This was completely new in 2008. Units and rock n roll bed from Campershak
http://www.thecampershak.co.uk/ridesgalleryimages.php?galleryid=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Front seats from a Saab (which are very comfy for long journeys and could be wired in for electric control). Back seat seats two and converts to a bed, has one 3 point seatbelt and one 2 point. Gas hob and grill. Sink (never used). Draws, loads of storage etc. Nice curtains (for wife!) devon bunks etc so technically sleeps 4 – see below re roof. Prof fitted 6-speaker stereo set up with large subwoofer – Sony head unit is a bit old and could prob be updated now but sounds really good still. Full split charging leisure battery set-up with 3-point sockets and 12v sockets and full electric hook up (plugs into engine bay so hidden away). LED lighting inside. All very neat and useable when camping. Buddy seat system and hide-away table means you can eat a meal as a family and its really cool for that. In fact when we camp we use the van as a lounge and all sleep in a large Kyham awning which works really well. (We could sell the awning too perhaps.) Bus has a 12/240v electric fridge (that we tend to use only when hooked-up) and cooker runs from a gas bottle.

Pop-top roof
This was professionally and completely taken apart, renovated and rebuilt. Pop tops on Devons are often capped off with a new fibreglass lid and spoiled but this one is as per factory, all the struts work really well, we had new roof bellows, new bunk materials, new vinyl bunk carriers etc. Its really nice to use and the pop top makes living with the van camping so useable as its the whole roof on a Devon that pops making the space much more useable. This was a costly part of the resto.

Niggles
Things I would disclose that could be looked at and improved:
- one key operates all the doors and the ignition but doesn't operate the lock on the sliding door – I don't have the key for that. We have just got used to living with it but I suspect changing that barrell would be really easy
- Front badge / roundel is starting to rust and I will probably change that come what may (or at least throw one into the sale)
- Painting bumpers as mentioned above
- The engine has always had a very slight oil drip, as many t2 engines do. Clive and anyone else who works on it just tells me not to be concerned by it and so I never had done anything with it in the time I have owned it.

Price
Having considered and discussed with a few people, and seen what else is available on the market, the price is £19,500 ovno. I can include a cover in this price and Kyham driveaway sleeper awning also negotiable.

I appreciate this is near the top-end of what Bay Windows are selling for but I think it is an exceptional bus, and to have this package all with right-hard drive is very valuable. I am in no rush to sell and we will just keep it if we can't sell at the right price. We are only considering it because the kids are growing and we are starting to look at more European trips and thinking about a T5 :shock: . It is agreed-value insured for £20k, and we have far more than that invested in it (as most people do!). (I'd always welcome genuine feedback on price but please dont litter this thread with comments about the price. :) )

Its really difficult to judge a bus by photos and we would really encourage anyone interested to come and view it in the flesh, drive it (if you have insurance) and I am also very happy for it to be subject to any formal inspection (at your cost naturally). Bus is in South East Wales, or I am also in Bristol with it regularly too.

Thanks for looking
Omar

Photobucket now updated with a fuller file of photos taken today, after a good clean and polish:

http://s1245.photobucket.com/user/mangobay/library/The%20Mangobay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We will be taking the Bus to Busfest on Sat 10 Sept if not sold before then, as it really helps to see in the flesh.
thanks

Latest posts