1st Breakdown...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just about to drive down to Glos. 50m down the road wipers stop working, so as it's P-ing down I take the next left into Asda carpark. As I pull up the engine dies, won't restart. No ignition light. Call recovery, who should be here any minute. Whilst I was board I started to check the fuses and found a 10A one that had blown.

Ah damn I've got a bag of fuses in the glove box, guess what no 10A.

Recovery still on their way, but the worry is why did the fuse blow? Is the ignition, wipers and indicators all dependent on that fuse, seems unlikely, although it looks like it has been rewired.

[Update] Turns out that it was the ignition fuse, replacing that meant it started. Wipers still not working - recovery man had a fiddle with the wiper blade and freed it, it was stuck in the top of the windscreen rubber where the end had been deformed in some way, this is odd as I've driven in the rain a few times with no issues.

The indicators don't work now (but the hazards do), the green indicator light comes on constantly. Any ideas anyone? I can't help but think that all 3 issues are related to the wiper blade getting stuck, which I'd expect to blow its own fuse.

Solved!!! OMG it was the earth between the steering column bracket and the metal body of the flasher relay - there's a little tab that pokes through a hole in the bracket!!!

Glad you’ve got it sorted. When things go wrong with them there lecky tricks, it’s usually something to do with an earth somewhere from reading about solutions to these problems. It’s finding them though.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, far and away beyond me , and work of the devil in wire. :mrgreen:

Latest posts