20/50W Oil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radish

Reaction score
Hello all

Just a bit of free advise, i have just had a technical meeting with a guy from Emo oils. After we discussed what we need to we got on to important things, cars and bikes! He asks about the breakdown bus and i pretend i'm interested in his sports bikes.
So i asked about oils for flat4's , now some will already know that SAE 30 is old technology in the oil world but i wanted to know what is a better alternative and he said "20/50W multi is a much better choice now a days for a flat4".
I only asked as i searched oils the other day and some people suggest SAE 30,40 or 50 along with 10/30, 15/40 & 20/50 or even "the cheapest you can get as you are changing it every 3000" (vzi dick)

Halford do their classic oil which i have used and will probably use again.

Good luck Darius

I've just tried the halso stuff that was advertised in volksworld. Gfs now stock it so worth getting when they do a discount day.

http://www.halso.co.uk/page.asp?pageId=295&pageName=VW%20Air-Cooled%20Engine%20Oils" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Read http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=467803" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Choose the oil by oil pressure not by what everyone else runs.

I use 5w30 semi-syn or synthetic(When less than £15 for 5ltr) because it results in acceptable cold and warm oil pressures.

I cannot see why anyone would use an oil with a higher rating than 30, VW initially instructed people to use straight SAE 30 which would mean most **W30 oils will have a very similar consistency at running temperature to the oil VW specified originally.

The **W is purely to aid cold oil flow and thus faster warm up, 20W50 in my eyes is giving you very little in terms of cold oil flow vs SAE30 due to only 10 points difference when cold..

I use Valvoline VR1 20w50 in my 2110. Has a high zddp content which is good for cams and lifters. £37 for 6 litres

rlepecha said:
I use 5w30 semi-syn or synthetic(When less than £15 for 5ltr) because it results in acceptable cold and warm oil pressures.

Do you have a link?

StuF said:
rlepecha said:

Do you have a link?
Something like http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=165581&productId=1009580&storeId=10001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 fully synthetic was £12.00 for 4.5L about a month or so ago in Asda.

GSF sell Vetech 5w30 semi synthetic for about £19.00, usually purchase it with a 35% off code which brings it down to about £13 delivered for free.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Latest posts