68 bay door lock not locking/unlocking with key

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roobug67

Reaction score
My bus is an Early 68, with push button door handles.

The passenger door handle lock, turns fine with the key, but doesn't pop the lock. Its the buses original door handle, locks and key.

Before I pull it apart is there anything common that fails to cause this on these? I know on 67 Beetles a pin can break on the door handle mechanism, is there a similar issue with these?

it could well be the small spring 'inside' the locking mechanism. its an easy fix. not damaging your door card is the most challenging part. you need to move the slider for the window to the side once you've got inside the door, but all you need is a philips screwdriver, a 10mm socket, an allen key and patience with the spring. one end of it should get bent over flat(ish) to catch the pin. Give it all a good light dose of spray grease while you at it.

someone will be a long in a minute with a part number

I'm having a similar problem with my driverside lock, can't unlock with key if someone used the handle, like if it was unlocked. Easy way for me to notice if someone wanted to see if I left it unlocked. When that happens I must enter via passenger door and unlock driverside door and after that it works til next time the handle is used when locked. Didn't find anything wrong with the handle itself or locking mechanism.

I agree with bluesnailvan use graphite spray in the locks.

Sounds like the little return spring has broken. See my thread June 2014 for what I did. [emoji3][emoji1690]

Bubbalobill said:
I'm having a similar problem with my driverside lock, can't unlock with key if someone used the handle, like if it was unlocked. Easy way for me to notice if someone wanted to see if I left it unlocked. When that happens I must enter via passenger door and unlock driverside door and after that it works til next time the handle is used when locked. Didn't find anything wrong with the handle itself or locking mechanism.
Classic little return spring problem. At its worst when you park hard up against a brick wall and you're the one who pushed the bloomin button by mistake

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Bluesnailman Classic little return spring problem. At its worst when you park hard up against a brick wall and you're the one who pushed the bloomin button by mistake Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk [/quote said:
Excellent! I'm ordering one too. Thank you!

Do you by any chance happen to have the part number? I can only find the whole mechanism in Sweden.

Got my springs today, disasembled the mechanism and noticed that it didn't even have a spring there any more.
Now it works like new!
Thanks for the help!

It was the pin broken off the back of my door handle.

I ordered a new handle from Custom & Commercial and swapped the broken bit over.

Now my original passenger door lock works as it should, and the bus is still 1 key for all the locks.

Latest posts