68 lowering options

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Brown

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Cali Westfalia
Hey all,
I’ve a 68 with drums and fully stock beam/suspension, I’d like to lower it a little, maybe only 3”, I want to keep the stock beam width and as much as poss stock handling, it’s mainly to close the tyre/arch gap a little and level it out.
Given that dropped spindles are unicorns what are my next best options ?
Cheers guys
Andy

I have a cut to lower 68 beam that was in my bus, makes the ride harsh though . Needs a bit of repair to the lower end pressed steel bits but if you want its available. Drop spindles and stock beam back on now.

Hi all, I am in the same situation with a 68.
I have to check but welded spindles are not legal in NZ.
So without switching the beam to a narrower beam and 72 on brakes ....
Can you get 3 inches drop out of adjusters on a beam without negatively affecting the ball joints?
I know that slammed is not possible but what can you safely get.
Rear is pretty easy - adjustable spring plates and a move on the splines?

The ball joints will be beyond usual travel limits, but real world experience says they’ll be fine. I ran that way for years, no drama.

But if welded spindles aren’t allowed, just use some flipped ones? They aren’t welded.

You can’t change beam to a later one in a 68 as it was a one year only beam and the holes don’t line up.

I’m changing to dropped spindles and 72+ late model brakes,

Downside is with late model brake the stock lowlight rims won’t fit so you need different wheels

The ball joints will be beyond usual travel limits, but real world experience says they’ll be fine. I ran that way for years, no drama.

But if welded spindles aren’t allowed, just use some flipped ones? They aren’t welded.
The problem then Clem is they use the flipped ball joint set up which tends to result in a 4" drop which is too much for most people.

Hey all,
I’ve a 68 with drums and fully stock beam/suspension, I’d like to lower it a little, maybe only 3”, I want to keep the stock beam width and as much as poss stock handling, it’s mainly to close the tyre/arch gap a little and level it out.
Given that dropped spindles are unicorns what are my next best options ?
Cheers guys
Andy
Hi Andy
The Drum Dropped spindles (not flipped) we used to be able to get hold of where 2.5" drop but do add 10mm to your track each side are made out of 2 pairs of original spindles and last the issue, drum spindles were only used for 3 years of MY production 68-70.

Drop spindles don't alter the handling as thats the whole point, the suspension pick up points remain in the same place its only the axle spindle that moves up on the back plate.

Depending on how worn the leaves in your beam are and you run drop spindles you might need to change your front tyre sizing, as you close the gap it also gets closer when you compress the suspension so the gap disappears and the tyre rubs the arch, known issue with stock width beams and drop spindles.

Happy to help with more info, been lowering buses for over 10 years so seen most of the combinations.

You can’t change beam to a later one in a 68 as it was a one year only beam and the holes don’t line up.

Downside is with late model brake the stock lowlight rims won’t fit so you need different wheels
You can use a beam from 68 & 69 MY they are both the same, using the same bolt spacing as late split buses.

Yes if you fit later disc dropped spindles you are correct the original 14's dont fit over due to the inner shape of the rim, they were only deigned to go over drums, I think you can fit Splitty 15's using adapters if you want to keep the wide 5 look.

The problem then Clem is they use the flipped ball joint set up which tends to result in a 4" drop which is too much for most people.
Yeah true. It’s the gateway to a load more faffing.

Beam bolt pattern changed 1970MY

If you check Spliffy build you can see I used late drop spindles , cut off the calliper tabs and had some adaptors machined to my design to fit Empi wide 5 discs kit. Works fine

Latest posts