• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

69 Deluxe Arizona Import Riviera Interior

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busman73

Reaction score
Its time for a change, so the old girls up for sale

I've owned this bus for three years now, for those who haven't followed my build thread here's a link so you'll know exactly what I've done to get the bus on the road and useable and to where it is now, take a look http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30532

Originally Imported from Arizona by Chris Dalton from VW Emporium in 2010, I brought it from him in October 2010, it took me 10 months on and off to get it ready for MOT and registration. This has been my daily driver for the past 2 years. Originally painted Savannah Beige and Cloud white, I have no idea what the colour is that its wearing now as it was painted in the states, the sandwich lady called it 'Hearing Aid Beige'
Its a 1969 Deluxe that left the factory in November of that year making it a 1970 model

Body
Coming from the USA it was a fairly solid bus not needing much in the way of welding, only requiring a few repairs to the load floor, a front valance, a cab floor section, and a front panel due to accident damage. The cab floor and load floor have both been given a good coat of red oxide to protect against further corrosion. Both battery trays will need replacing at some point in the future as we all know that they rust out even on an import van, but they are both currently supporting a battery each with no signs that they will fall on the floor and there is a small amount of rot in the outer skin of the passengers door (see pictures)

I've had the front panel and grill painted to match the existing paint, both front and rear bumpers have been re-painted although there are some rust bubbles coming through due to this being my daily, the wheels have also been powder coated silver then painted white to match the bumpers.
The roof still wears its original Cloud White paint and has a lovely patina, if i was keeping this bus I was planning on clear coating the roof to stop any further deterioration, the rest of the body is solid with a few dings, scratches and dents that add to the history of the bus.

Ive started cavity waxing the bus, so far both cab doors, the sliding door and the battery trays are all I've done so far, it will hopefully be black waxed completely underneath before its sold

I've fitted new door rubbers all round (not cheep seals either the nice veiwib seals) and new deluxe front and rear window rubbers, I've retro fitted Westfalia louvered side windows with new seals held in with stainless screws

a replacement legal, black and silver rear number plate has been fitted since the photos were taken

Mechanical
Mechanically this bus has been really well looked after, as its been my daily its been serviced religiously (I couldn't afford for it to break down on me). I've just done the oil and valve clearances so its good for another 3000 miles then she'll be due a full service. I've service it every 3000miles according to the speedo but due to the smaller tyres the actual mileage is lower than what is shown on the clock

The engine is a completely stock 1600Tp fitted with Electronic ignition and a 009 dizzy, mild steel 4 into 1 with a stainless Mondo style exhaust, (a bit bashed due to it being low) it's very reliable although a little tired.

The Carb was rebuilt when the van was first registered and I have fitted an oil temp guage with a dipstick sender

I've recently (August) re-done all the steering and front suspension, so that's ball joints, track rods, steering damper, idler pin, drag link then had the steering 4 wheel aligned so it goes down the road nice and straight

Most of the brake parts were replaced when I got the bus ready for its first MoT and have been checked, adjusted and maintained regularly, its also two new CV boots and a clutch cable recently

Shorter shocks all round to go with the lower ride height, this has been done with a set of CSP front beam adjusters and a set of Horse shoe plates on the rear
Its running Stock 185 R14s on the rear so not to affect the speed and a new pair of 165 70 R14s on the front

Theres a fair amount of service history from the states including the original service book and any invoices for parts whilst I've had it

MoT'd until August 31st 2014 and Taxed until August 2014

Interior
Inside is an interior from Late Bay Riviera, it has all the usual stuff, sink, 2 burner hob, cool box/fridge, wardrobe over head cupboard/shelf and table.

I've built a Rock and Roll bed using a set of original Westfalia hinges with all new foam, the seat part has been covered in some beige fabric (this was only ment top be temporary) and the rear section has a Mexican blanket loosely covering it
I had the kick board colour matched by a professional furniture maker to match the rest of the Riviera units.

The interior is still very much work in progress, although the units and appliances are there the cool box and sink are yet to be connected to the leisure battery.

There is a leisure battery and split charger and fuse box fitted so far the stereo, interior light and propex are hooked up to it (I'm still working on the bus so depending on when it sells I may have got the leisure wiring finished) the hob is connected to the gas,
Like I said the interior is very much still work in progress but it gives the new owner the chance to put their mark on it
Under the bed is a Propex Hs 1600, its an older unit that is a bit temperamental, occasionally it thinks there is a blockage in the combustion air inlet pipe, I've been told by Heatsoure that this a common problem with older units, there is a fan with an infra red sensor that senses air flow, this is the fault and I was told that this can be replaced with a non moving part and will cost about £60

There is no head liner as the original was far to far gone to save, the insulated pads and bows are still in place.
Front seats are original VW and pretty good for their age with a small rip in the base of the drivers seat and a split in the stitching on the passengers seat
New Madmatz cab floor mat, new under seat wheel arch mats and recovered original kick panels

Sounds are via an Alpine head unit mounted below the glove box with 2 130mm Focal speakers in the doors (the vibe sub between the seats is not included in the sale)

I'm sure I've missed out loads, I'm sure I've rambled on for far too long already
Its a genuinely honest van that I will be sad to see go, viewing is strongly advised

Price £9,950 ono open to sensible offers

Any questions, to arrange a viewing or for more pictures, please PM, call, text or e-mail me
Adam 07794139640 [email protected]

Little update:
there's been a few changes since the ad was posted,
it's now got a new set of front tyres, the passengers seat has a rip in the base, it's got new under seat mats fitted in the cab and I've had the grill repainted as it was looking tatty

Adam

Latest posts