'69 deluxe project Lefty - back on the road again!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetPeter

Reaction score
Hi!
After a long time of reading nice stories and watching cool pics on Earlybay.com, it’s time to start my own thread!

I’ve driven for years in a ’72 crossover baywindow, but sold it because of a (simple) resto of a ’65 Bug. In 2011 I’ve sold the Bug to search serious for a nice earlybay. December 2011 I’ve found a ’69 Deluxe in California. . .

buszijkant_zpse6915fd6.jpg

schuinvoor_zps697ef338.jpg

achterzijde_zpsc3643547.jpg

I’ve bought the bus, with the knowledge of some welding and without an engine. The engine isn’t the problem because I already have an 1835cc waiting :D Before I decide to buy it, the seller send me several pics of the bodywork: it seems ‘do-able’.

404644_313742002002480_607536920_n.jpg

End of January 2012 the bay arrived in Holland . . . then the real project starts ;-) We had to take a look at the body and underside. As I already know, it needed some welding at several points. The batterytray was gone and the outside rockers had some rust.

IMG_1131_zpscd408222.jpg

The first months the bay was standing somewhere else so they can weld the bad parts. In the meanwhile I’ve searched for some nice slamming stuff ;-) I’m going to install an air-ride beam from Qustoms at the front. For the back I’ve ordered a nice set of Slamwerk springplates and some airshocks from Gabriel.

When the bus getting back from the welder, I finally can start with some work myself . . .
First make some little cut-outs to notch the back.

IMG_1218_zps45e858da.jpg

IMG_1219_zpsa5bb1b8e.jpg

IMG_1221_zpsd374233f.jpg

And after some welding . . .

GOPR0389_zpsaaf59c5b.jpg

After notching the long and dirty jobs starts: make the full bottom clean, damn what a hell of a job!
Afbeelding_zps0436b812.jpg

Underneath the old dirty tarmac surface is a shiny blue colour hidden, me happy!

IMG_1352_zps80dcba03.jpg

Afbeelding1_zpsf1159eb6.jpg

IMG_1475_zpsfbcae1db.jpg

IMG_1473_zpse86b2e31.jpg

IMG_1456_zpsb64471b7.jpg

After months of dirty faces (once a week) the bottom’s ready for the next step!

485818_454038827972796_1445512746_n.jpg

First degreased every part and piece, then sprayed an anti-rust layer RX5. After that painted it black with RX10.

68285_467633929946619_619059629_n.jpg

At some time, finally the new beam arrived . . . but damn! This one don’t fit my bay. The bolt holes for fitting underneath the chassis aren’t good. Also the color is wrong . . .

VoorasQustoms_zps1ce48f7d.jpg

Mr. Qustoms is making a new one . . . I canb go further on with the bottom. I’ve sprayed the third layer with overspayable stone chip from Motip. Looks already good . . .

bodemgrijs_zpsb7173601.jpg

Three weeks ago I’ve sprayed the last layer: L53h (Brilliant blue)!! It turned out very wel (for a bottom). But then an accident happen! I began building up the backside with the new Slamwerks springplates. The bus is about 1.60 meters above the ground on the bridge. I want to let it down and then BANG! The baywindow collapsed between the bridge! One of the spindles in the bridge arms broked and fell to the floor . . .

busopzijkant_zps532a281f.jpg

With a few guys we’ve placed it on a few ‘doggywheels’ . . . then we could examine the damage of the leftside. The bay has first touched the floor at the front corner. The door only opens a few inches. Then the louvred window is waisted, underneath it there is nice dent, also the deluxe trim is damaged. In the roof a little dents, the roofrails is folded. The outside rocker has to be replaced . . .

Damn . . . . that’s gonna hurt my wallet I’m thinking ;-) My friends (MychaType3) already named the bay Lefty . . . called this thread the same :lol:

DSC_0658_zps2728c87a.jpg

DSC_0655_zpsbfd9aa7b.jpg

DSC_0628_zpsb4b2fad3.jpg

DSC_0637_zps8e95f868.jpg

DSC_0625_zpsb26d9796.jpg

DSC_0638_zpsf623d0d2.jpg

DSC_0662_zps1cff6d71.jpg

Well, that’s it for today ;-)
Posting updates soon!

Peter

nice work there Peter,... thats a bummer the ramp gave way mate :shock:

rich

Hi Peter, welkom! 8)

I like Lefty and I agree with dubscum, it sure is gonna rock!

Just one question: Did you remove the original paint before applying the RX5? Or is the RX5 on top of it? The bottom of the van is looking very good. 8)

Thanks! 8)

Airtime said:
Hi Peter, welkom! 8)

I like Lefty and I agree with dubscum, it sure is gonna rock!

Just one question: Did you remove the original paint before applying the RX5? Or is the RX5 on top of it? The bottom of the van is looking very good. 8)

Thanks! 8)

Thnx Dubscum and Airtime!
I didn't remove the OG paint at the bottom . . . I know RX5 works best on blank steel (with at least 24 hrs of surface rust on it). So this is a test with RX5 on a 'painted' bottom ;)

MetPeter said:
Thnx Dubscum and Airtime!
I didn't remove the OG paint at the bottom . . . I know RX5 works best on blank steel (with at least 24 hrs of surface rust on it). So this is a test with RX5 on a 'painted' bottom ;)

I also didn't take the original paint off (only on places were there was rust) that's now three years ago, under carriage is still looking clean :D

Peet: show us some sexy-beam shots?

Greetz Westy
Proud member of the A-team
fotoA.jpg

Shit!!!
Not good news on your bus's suicide attempt!!!
Underside is looking mint!!
Are you fixing the bodywork damage or leaving it as SERIOUS patina??

Thanks all! Leave the dents is an option . . . the patina bay with a story :eek:

Last week the airride-beam finally arrived . . . after months of waiting I can start to build things up. Only the air bags aren't there yet, but will come quickly (I hope).
The beam is a branded with my own company name :mrgreen:

vooras_zps6ea4d651.jpg

Al the parts for the airride setup are ready for instal.

airrideset_zps8046eb6f.jpg

Latest posts