70 Bay won't start

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyjames80

Reaction score
Hi,

New to the forum and Bay ownership don't consider myself a mechanic but love having a go myself, I have a 1970 bay, had it for a couple of months now, I am having some issues starting it up.

When I got to turn it over I am just getting a ticking, then after a few trys the ticking will stop as if the battery has ran out, I have checked the battery its fully charged I also swapped it with the battery in my 71 beetle and the beetle fires no problems, I know its not the battery because even if I try to jump it, it seems to take ages to fire, then sometimes it will just fire at random.

Once I do get her fired up, if I stop it again straight away it won't fire again but if I go on a long drive she will fire again but will struggle if left for a few hours, then as if by magic overnight it won't fire again in the morning just ticking again. I have tried 2 fresh batteries in it and still the same,

any suggestions?

James

Have you tried to put the bus in 1st gear or reverse and rocking it back and forward?
Sounds like you might need a new starter motor
Take a video of the not starting/noise and post it using the tapatalk app - might make it easier to diagnose

Hello
As said above sounds like your starter motor brushes have gone
If its an original you could take it to an auto electrical place and have a new set fitted
Norm 😁

Try the above, but because it does turn over with a jump, I’m thinking it might just be worth checking your earth connections. Clean up both ends of the battery earth lead and the earth from body to gearbox / motor again both ends. I take it that the rest of the motor is in good tune like valve and points settings . After you’ve tried it a few times, jump underneath with the key in your pocket :shock: and gently feel your starter solenoid and see if it’s very hot. All these leads might like a little freshen up and some tlc as well :!: Sounds like some love is required. Also thinking solenoid sticking possibly? Nice screwdrivers test on that and a smashing miniature meteorite shower under your bus :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,, do the freebie things first. :mrgreen:

Do you know if you have an electric fuel pump? Mine has a facet electrical fuel pump and this ticks until it has charged the system. It stops after a while. Could be worth checking this out. The standard mechanical pumps don't make a ticking noise.

The starter motor noise is more of a single click if it has jammed. If it is this I'm pretty sure it is the solenoid that sticks/jams not a brushes issue in the motor itself (although that might be a next check). I had this happen to me once in France, a sharp hit with a hammer on the starter motor solved the problem (not too heavy). As above rocking the bus in gear, if it is this, can free it too. When home, I tried to take the solenoid apart to check it/grease it or whatever but buggered the screws so bought a new one.

Good luck. Al

Latest posts