71 Danbury

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is the sierra yellow/white van in the EB banner pic above taken at the EB lineup at Volksworld show 4 (?) years ago
now in local VW bodyshop
on the 'road'
IMG_0354.jpg

stripped and the usual rust revealed
IMG_4677.jpg

lurking behind the front bumper
IMG_4679.jpg

front arch
IMG_4680.jpg

rear arch
IMG_4682.jpg

windscreen
IMG_4684.jpg

rear corners
IMG_4681.jpg

sliding door
IMG_4683.jpg

the bottoms of the cab doors and tailgate are shot and so are being replaced
the sliding door is borderline; prefer to find a rustfree replacement but may have to repair; if anybody has one stashed away......
the rear bumper has taken a knock, reversed into a lamp post obscured by rear qtr, and may need replacing
cab and cargo floors are pretty solid
the door cards need replacing but I'm hoping to be able to peel off the original grey/black vinyl and reuse as the interior is 90% stock danbury
haven't decided on colour yet
will post new pics as/when I get chance to pop over to Brickfields
cheers
gerry

Not seen you about for a while Gerry!

I think the original Sierra Yellow and White takes a lot of beating, but if you're fancying a change, I'm sure your bus will look fab with whatever you decide to go for. 8)

Oh and make sure that Danbury badge is saved, and goes back on afterwards! ;) :lol:

the resto has been continuing, more rot revealed, inner lower front panel
IMG_0188.jpg

behind each cab seat
IMG_0189.jpg

in the cargo floor but chassis and cross members OK, plus good opportunity to take off the belly pans too
photo-3.jpg

rear nearside arch cut away
IMG_0192.jpg

ditto both front arches
IMG_0191.jpg

Thought I recognised that workshop...
Will be watching this take shape with much interest..... Phil does great work.

....and a Danbury too, excellent!

;)

Yep been there two with all that lot, at least you know its in good hands. Got all my original Danbury interior to go in my new US bus as not being sided it can go in either way LHD or RHD

One question, do they not take the alloys off when doing that kind of work. I put some shabby steelies on when doing mine as the crap from grinding/slittling was starting to stick in the soft alloy in parts?

Gotta keep that colour though as its a corcking choice

found some more pics of the rot, look away now...........
lower front inner panel
IMG_4718.jpg

rusty floor, outrigger and non-existent jacking point
IMG_4708.jpg

sill
IMG_4711.jpg

more sill with belly pan peeled away
IMG_4714.jpg

inner sill
IMG_4705.jpg

arch, can't make out if it's front or rear
IMG_4709.jpg

moving on.......
new n/s rear qtr plus new battery tray
IMG_4710.jpg

patch behind cab seat, both sides
IMG_4707.jpg

new front outrigger and jacking point, both sides
IMG_4849.jpg

n/s inner arch repair
IMG_4848.jpg

new inner and outer sills, both sides
IMG_4843.jpg

half new floor in
IMG_4846.jpg

and complete
IMG_0205.jpg

better pic of outrigger/jacking point with new floor
IMG_4845.jpg

on to the doors
slider had previously been (poorly) repaired at bottom and was badly corroded under window aperture
IMG_4722.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

so decided to see if I could find a replacement; on verge of giving up when Richard at Coolair came up with these on EB
stuff060.jpg

stuff058.jpg

Richard took my slider away and thought it may be salvageable by a 'cut and shut' with another door he had
I also got 2 NOS cab doors as mine were rotten at bottom and had been glass fibre repaired at some stage
But they were difficult to fit, esp the passenger door, so Phil resorted to major surgery
my old door
IMG_0228-1.jpg

NOS door
IMG_0233-1.jpg

and join the 2 best bits
IMG_0234-1.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

finally, rather than have a join across the face of the door, Phil replaced the outer skins with a NOS complete door skin he had

new front arches
IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

and new n/s rear arch, the o/s rear arch and qtr just had surface rust and cleaned up fine
IMG_0233.jpg

windscreen surround repair, before
IMG_4684.jpg

after
IMG_0229.jpg

o/s side window opening repair
IMG_0235.jpg

lower front bottom outer panel
IMG_0226.jpg

passenger cab door, clearly showing old top and new bottom halves, anyone want the top half hanging on the wall at back?
IMG_0228.jpg

view of n/s with new passenger and sliding doors on, reminds me of the Fiat Uno (?) with different colour body panels
IMG_0222.jpg

driver's cab door, Phil managed to get a decent fit after a bit of judicious realignment of the upper half
IMG_0230.jpg

think there's a bit of fettling to do on the driver's door, then it's on to the prep stage next
am really not sure about colours, whether to stick with the sierra yellow/pastel white or do something completely new........................

van was finished a few weeks back after 4 months work by Phil Norman of Brickfields, in SE London.
Phil has done a fabulous job and i'd certainly recommend him.
So here's the paint pics and the first 'back on the road' pics
in primer
IMG_0256.jpg

roof in pastel white
IMG_0257.jpg

is that a raleigh chopper?
IMG_0261.jpg

i did think of a grey finish when i saw this
IMG_0262.jpg

'new' doors and tailgate in the paint booth
IMG_0265.jpg

first pics in its new livery, beryl green, a beetle colour from the 60s
IMG_0271.jpg

it's quite 'vibrant' under artificial light, sometimes verging on lime green!
IMG_0272.jpg

that's the top half of the NOS passenger door hanging on the wall, it just wouldn't fit
IMG_0273.jpg

shiny, shiny
IMG_0279.jpg

can't get over the finish, it is amazing
IMG_0280.jpg

coming together, deluxe bumper trims are new
IMG_0321.jpg

new rear tail lght lenses
IMG_0326.jpg

back on the road after 4 months of work!
IMG_5113.jpg

this is more representative of it's 'true' colour
IMG_5114.jpg

waist line trim is stainless steel from the states; i will put some tips on fitting/clips in the tech section
IMG_5117.jpg

more deluxe bumper trims; a couple of Doris' brackets fitted, awaiting reversing lights
IMG_5118.jpg

lined up outside Phil's unit
IMG_0340.jpg

and his amazing van; he also has a beetle drag racer in similar livery!
IMG_0342.jpg

Looks really cool, and exactly how my 72 Danbury will need restoring next year - would it be cheeky to ask approx cost (saving already for mine) PM if thats OK ?.

Chris C

:D

A long time since I put anything on this thread
In 2015 we got a litesteer power steering unit fitted which was a revelation, then last winter, after several years of using the original danbury layout we decided on an interior makeover
so in spring 2016, Spaceroofs in Devon fitted a poptop with gas struts so it's really easy to raise and lower, and has side mesh panels which allow air to circulate, good when it's hot

and in summer i fitted a new interior from SJS VW in Southport to replace the original danbury interior, although I kept the original topbox having to cut it down to fit the new roof profile. It's a really practical layout with lots of cupboard space and the bed is slightly wider than the standard 3/4 width. I've since replaced the 'porta potti' seat by the sliding door with a rusty lee foldaway buddy seat to make better use of the space

then in August we got the ferry to Bilbao and drove back over 2 weeks via San Sebastien and the French atlantic coast...................and it was all worth it, we could stand up in the van, the R&R bed was a breeze compared to the danbury's diy effort, we had a fridge, hob and sink (although we cook and wash up oustide mainly) and we're looking forward to more adventures when it's warmer. I'll post details of our itinerary on the camping forum shortly

Looks really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts