• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

71 Deluxe Early Bay Window For Sale, Restored, Colorado USA

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greggearhead

Reaction score
Short intro, as this is my first post. I've been on the Samba and ebay for eons, it seems, but new here. I've been a lifelong VW Enthusiast, and buy and sell a fair amount.

For Sale: 1971 Deluxe Early Bay Window VW Bus

1971 is arguably the best year for Bay Window Buses – you get the better looking early Bay bumpers and body, but the proven Type 1 Powerplant, with a stout 002 three rib transmission and disc brakes. Best of everything. This is a walk-through seven passenger bus, with the middle seat in place! This one could very easily be the best one you ever come across. It has been restored, and thoroughly, not just a quick clean-up job. The list of things replaced and repaired is extensive:

Interior: Custom seat upholstery and carpet made by Sewfine, professionally installed. Extra sound deadening and padding is present under the carpet. New headliner (professionally installed), new front (three point retracting) seatbelts, functioning seat belts throughout. New steering wheel, dash cluster has been refurbished, dashboard restored (one crack in original dash), all lights and switches work correctly.

Exterior: All the glass is good and original VW, except the windshield. New window and door seals throughout, including window scrapers. Even the wiper blades are new! New paint inside and out, factory original colors. All deluxe trim in place and polished. There were some tiny spots of rust in the front floor pan that were replaced by the previous owner – not a perfect job, and in retrospect with how nice this turned out, should have been redone, but they aren't visible unless you stick your head underneath the front, and are repaired with new metal welded in. I'm nit-picking, but on a bus this nice, I would hope all details would be brought up. All lights and glass in good condition. The undercarriage was not sprayed with rubberized undercoating to cover anything up. Original finish underneath, with some very mild visible surface corrosion – original paint from 1971 under there. No bondo was used and very little metal work was needed before the paint job. A magnet can verify this.

Chassis: New 8-ply tires, correct load rating for a VW Bus, safe and make them handle much better passenger car rated tires. Wheels have been repainted correct color. Shocks are new, steering is tight and good. Wipers, turn signals, hazards, etc all work like they should. Get in it and drive.

Engine: 1641cc Dual Port. Rebuilt engine – line bored, new crankshaft, pistons, cylinders, new heads (not rebuilt), etc. Mostly new parts, not used or rebuilt.

Transmission: Was rebuilt while in the previous owners possession, do not have paperwork to verify, unfortunately, but it shifts very well and makes no worriesome noises.

This thing drives like a sweet new bus would have in 1971 off the dealer floor (except with a quieter and much nicer interior). Nothing needs fiddled with or fixed or done. You can get in it and enjoy it. Take it to shows, drive it on nice days, use it for a business (always gets thumbs up and lots of attention, running down the road or anywhere you stop).

$22,000 or best offer.

Not in a hurry to sell, so no low ball offers, please. Partial trades of other Buses and project VW's considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts