71 Devon moonraker resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i ve had my very rusty camper sitting under a cover for over a year now while I ve been busy preparing a workshop to do the work. I ve also been distracted by building 3 campervans during the year. I m almos ready to move the bus into the workshop . I v still got a day of concrete mixing to get the floor finished. I ll roll her in next week. I ve made a start taking off the exterior items and I ve discovered tha the front chassis is in a bad way and will have to be completely rebuilt. So my 1st tsk will be to remove all the running gear and the front beam to see the extent of the rot . I ll probable have to cut out the cab floor to get proper access.
So now the fun begins . I ve got a website running to log the progress so anyone who is interested can have a look.
Http://www.myvwbaycamperproject.co.uk

This looks really interesting!

You might have to bump this thread when you update your website so we can keep up to date.

Woz

Lots of work done already & at 67 Brill Click on The workshop http://www.myvwbaycamperproject.co.uk/1878.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look forward to seeing some real work on the vw.

Well the work shop is all finished and I've finally driven the old girl in under her own steam. I jacked her up on dollies to swing her into position.
I've stripped a lot of stuff now to see the extent of the rust and I was not disappointed!. The front chassis legs are shot and the front section of the middle chassis needs some surgery. However I was pleased that the rest of the underside is in good shape as is the cargo floor. I've removed the windscreen and was pleased to see very little rust in the top section of the front panel. The Front panel needs replacing but I am debating if I should cut the new panel and make a join just under the air box grille to save all the grief of detaching the old panel from the air box. The rust in the front chassis legs extends to the lower bolts fixing the front beam. So my next priority will be to remove the beam to get a clear picture of what size sections I need to fabricate to make new chassis legs. I have a feeling that the sections supplied on thew market won't be long enough. I've updated my website with some photos on the stripdown page.
http://www.myvwbaycamperproject.co.uk

I've been beavering away, as time allows, to continue the strip down process of my restoration project . It's a world of discovery , coming to the conclusion that there is no short cut to this restoration game. It looks as though i'm in for the long haul and i'll be taking this baby back to bare metal and rebuilding with mostly new components.
I've cleared the decks to remove the front beam and I've removed the engine. The interior is totally stripped out, except for the pop top. The plan is to get the welding done on the front chassis before I can get a roll over jig to turn her over and get the rest of the underside done and replace the sills. I've made a shopping list for the workshop Compressor and air tools and the welder and sent it to Santa. Anyone interested can visit my website on the stripdown page to see the progress so far. Merry Christmas to all the earlybayers . 2015 should be interesting and expensive!

looks good same 71 devon moonraker as me only mine is v rusty now sitting outside bare metal. Im having issues getting it in through the door, not enough height

The workshop, for me was one of the priorities in attempting this project. It has been a big commitment and a great deal of hard work but I think it will pay dividends. I ve gradually realised that there are no corners to cut with this project. It will cost what it costs and take the time it takes. Hope I last long enough to see it finished!

I ve finally managed to drop the front beam. 44 yrs of being there made it very resistant to being moved. It took heat, vibration and a 6 ft scaffold pole to get it to move. All done now through. Could not believe how tight those rear hub nuts were also. Managed to sheer a 1/2 inch stub on a breaker bar. Almost just a body she'll now.

I ve been on the search for new cab doors and been advised the the new doors supplied by JK are not the best quality and that I would be better to source usa import secondhand doors.
They seem just as expensive. Has anyone had experience of using JK new doors.
Also has anyone got any experience or opinions about fibreglass bumpers from no more rusty bits. They seem to look the business at the right price.
I m still saving up to get the parts for the next phase of my project so I ve been building campervans to make that possible. :!:

Latest posts