71 Dormobile " The Beginning "

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, time to sort the engine lid hanger area.
Cut out and replace the inside panel.

Then replace the outside panel. Just seemed the right order to do it!

And it works. New engine lid ready to go but couldn't find it ! so old before new.

Now sort out remaining corner. Patchwork metal anyone.

Slowly looking like a bus again.

Onwards and backwards!

Good to see it coming back together, where did you get the engine lid hinge panel ? The inner one,can't seem to find them anywhere.

ajpepe72 said:
Good to see it coming back together, where did you get the engine lid hinge panel ? The inner one,can't seem to find them anywhere.

Give Schofields a ring and explain the panel you want. They make them up somehow but are not in the catalogue.

Thanks,that's a great help. Just ordered a load of panels from them and saw the outer panel listed on website but not the inner,will give them a call.

So, here we are September 18!!
The bus has been on a trip again this year, all be it on the back of a trailer.
Moved from base 2 to hopefully last base. Now in the capable hands of Paul (just finished “graysummers” green machine on here) to push it on and hopefully get it painted ready to come home to fit it back together ( another long job)
Never know might get it back on its 10 year anniversary since my purchase.
Slowly, slowly catchy ."? Rust.

After another period of inaction some go forward.
What chassis

There you go

Somewhere to put your feet

Add a rusty door

Been buying bits to put on it when one day it gets rid of this stuff

Hopefully more pics soon.

Haven’t been in the workshop to see Paul for a good while now. He’s visited my house on the way through to his shopping trips a couple of times. Great to see the above repairs. When mine was at a similar stage, I still had the whole respray, engine rebuild, wiring and furniture/roof/rubbers/windows refits stages planned.......which Paul was to complete. Are you planning to do this respray/refits down your way? Your door looks a bit special. Looks solid.

Hi Gray,
How’s the van?
I’ll hope to keep my van with Paul as long as money permits! Hopefully painted at least.
Fitting back together is something I can do however I can’t get a dinky toy in my garage at the moment let alone a van.

Hi. Billie the Bus 😉 is being used everyday. Only transport I have and use daily for myself. When I first got her back? A few little teething troubles, but nothing that mattered. Settled pretty quickly. Paul advises if I need it and I just sort it. He’s oil changed and we fitted heat exchange cables (now some warmth!) and tweaked the engine a bit. Few electrics to jiggle. But...The finished project is amazing. Stock engine sounds tight, bodywork nice and sound. Just bought some sisal/jute cab mats/kick boards from Madmatz. Got new caramel seat covers (again stock design). Curtains, cab hammock.....So...bit by little bit as the bank balance allows. Be good to see yours out there. Looks like he’s doing his usual great stuff. As you said...safe hands.

I’m paying him a visit in a few weeks to have a chat and admire my less rusty bus. I’ll keep an eye out for Billie!

I work in the hospital about a mile and a half down the road from Paul’s workshop. Arrive very early morning and leave late evening shifts, so it’ll be parked up and hidden all day. If I’ve got a day off, you could spot her out and about Machynlleth. I’m hopefully seeing Paul over the coming weeks too. All the best.

A little bit of progress

Indicator blanks sorted around the original grill and front panel nearly ready for final fit. Front end had dropped 10mm so fitting the windscreen would have been fun.

A post repairs sorted

Should be pushing on now as there’s not so much in the garage! Well ok there is but at least mines nearer the top of the list.
My mans doing a great job.

Lockdown work in progress.
Passenger side all welded up.

Onto drivers side
Replace chassis Y section

Start on sorting drivers B post sills arch etc etc etc!

Soon to be turned upside down to finish chassis and maybe even get some paint on?!

i have to gardening to do first, but will then have a go at the camper to-do list. none as major as this (I'm happy to say). Looks like significant piece of work

A little go forward.
Front panel being treated inside and out

And tidy up the roof again!
Before

After

Onwards and backwards.

Latest posts