'72 Crossdresser indicator function

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purpledog07

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury combi
Hi all. Can anyone tell me if the main beam staying on is a function of the indicator stalk/switch or the relay?
My indicator switch broke and ive repaired the broken plastic and rebuilt the unit. Now the indicators work and the main beam flashes but will not stay on.
MOT due soon and a new switch is roughly £250 (and they don't seem to be available anywhere in the world at the moment).
It's a one year only five wire switch.
Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Can't you use a 7 wire switch and just tape up the spare wires?

7 wire can be used, mine was broken on my 72 and left 2 wires unused, pulling on the arm should hold the main beam on as stated, this function requires a 12v permanent supply to be present on pin 30 of the relay to function. Put a meter on pin 30 and see if there is 12v, if there is then it is likely to be the indicator arm.
I was lucky enough to find a NOS one in France and had it sent to the UK. 5 wire is US Spec and the 7 i believe was European

Also post a wanted on the Facebook VW forums, cant recall which forum it was but there was a NOS one for sale a few months ago at around £180
Well worth it IMO

If the indicators are working and the headlamp flasher operates and the high beam comes on, then your indicator switch is working fine and OK. Provided there is a click from the relay when you are trying to change from high to low or visa versa, then the relay is the culprit. Some of the mechanical relays can be tweeked to get them working, but for what they cost possibly not worth the agro. Some relays are electronic operation; should you have one make sure the battery is disconnected before you do anything.
Peter Good

Check pin 30 first for 12v. Then as post above says it could be the relay

Turns out it was the relay, gave it a tap and it started working. Gonna pick up a nos one soon as i can. Thanks for all the help guys

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Latest posts