A few wiring questions

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evo1972

Reaction score
Hi guys, helping out a friend wire his 70 bug and got a few questions. I know it's not a bay but principal the same.

Indicators. 3 prong relay which I think may be faulty. Here's what's happening. Bear in mind that this has no lights fitted so just wires with connectors on end (no lives touching earth) so not sure if that is a problem as guessing it's the same if a bulb blows and halts the circuit. Pull hazard switch and just continuous buzz from relay. Light on haz switch permanently on and also light in speedo glows. Haz off and try using stalk to use direction indicators but nothing at all. Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking it's the relay?

Next up are the lights. Parking position all good, lights in speedo and 12v to all cable ends. Lights on position. 12v to high beam wire ends and dash warning light illuminated. Will not click off high beam. Wires to relay are yellow from 56a/white from F to fuse board to give power to headlight cables, no56 black white to no56 on light switch for power in (have 12v when switch pulled out)and brown white from indicator stalk to s on relay to switch high/low beam. Relay buggered? How can I test the brown white cable to ensure the stalk is ok? Is this an earth switching cable if that makes sense or can I use my power probe to hit the s on the relay with a burst of 12v?

Sadly, fault finding is only practical except with a diagram and a test meter as VeeDubMan says.
However, as a guide; the indicators and hazards require everything to be in place for either to work properly.
For the headlamp relay, try swapping the white and yellow (56a and 56b) over temporarily, it will give you an idea where to look next.
Peter Good

Latest posts