A homely bus.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey all. Well something has been bugging me for a long time now about my bus and that is something is lacking or that homely feel. If that makes sense. I've built the interior from scratch but no electrics yet but thats coming. What makes your buses home from home or the feel of it for you ? Daft question I know but something I'm intrigued about.

I asked Pippa and she replied the way we have decorated it to our taste, not what might be expected.
Your Bus your rules as we all say.

Other than the fridge cooker and sink.

For me a few creature comforts that help the daily grind. Hot water on tap, for washing dishes an MXS 10 battery charger
that looks after the battery's and the 200 watt solar system with an MPPT controller. Oh and the compressor powered cooler:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I know it's a lot but "every little bit helps."

J & P
:D:D:D

I asked Pippa and she replied the way we have decorated it to our taste, not what might be expected.
Your Bus your rules as we all say.

Other than the fridge cooker and sink.

For me a few creature comforts that help the daily grind. Hot water on tap, for washing dishes an MXS 10 battery charger
that looks after the battery's and the 200 watt solar system with an MPPT controller. Oh and the compressor powered cooler:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I know it's a lot but "every little bit helps."

J & P
:D:D:D
Hey dude. Ahhh ive only got my cool box at the mo so when i get the electricals in etc maybe that will be it. Sounds good though 🙂🤙.

A big part of it for us is the memories. Get out there and use your bus and you’ll have plenty to talk & laugh about with your family (both good and bad!)

Maybe bring your favourite cup from home and your own pillow - sometimes it’s the little things too!
Hey dude. That sounds good but i dont have a family and theres only me. Sounds good about bringing my home stuff in though 🙂🤙.

I agree with Gas1man and Matt84, I think for me, what makes it mine is the personalisation that makes the van suit my needs combined with the memories that have been created in it.

My old van had my blood sweat and tears in it, I drove 15,000 miles round Europe in it, so that van had my heart. My current van had been restored by the previous owner and even after owning for 2 years doesn't feel like 'mine', but the sense of freedom and adventure I get from driving it is still the same I had with my old van.

Get out and drive it, use it and adopt it and you will find you grow together like an old married couple, essentially you have to get miles under the belt both on the road and in the garage.

So - my bus isn’t running..yet. But for me I think keep it simple. Stripped down , don’t impair the moment with stuff. Try not to make it something it isn’t .A warm brew or cold beer, a good view, maybe a throw. Your warm, your dry and you’re enjoying the moment - wherever that is. I know people who drive 10 miles to eat fish and chips with a view.
And don’t forget to bask in the warm glory of knowing that YOU fitted those new Dormobile seals and they won’t leak. 😉
Yes i have had a glass of wine 🍷 🍷🍷😂🌈👍

When I go off anywhere it is usually just me. The Mrs came for one night a couple of weeks back and that’s the third time in over a dozen years and very nice it was too. Usually though it’s just me. Part of the memories is getting things specifically for the bus and peeps and rellies usually get me stuff on my birthday etc. I must have twenty different bottle openers that they’ve got me ranging from ones fixed to a unit, to VW shaped ones. The last one is a real good laugh, it’s a bottle opener / gun, so you open the bott then load the bottle cap into this gun then shoot someone with it, shoots four or five yards and we’ve had shooting competitions with it in my gazebo when camping :) Even though it’s usually just me, I’ve gradually evolved a separate VW friendship / family at various events like Dubs At The Castle and Air Cooled Campout and Techenders. So I’m making memories at each event that are priceless. The last Techenders I went too, me and a couple of mates got some icecream off the local ice cream van. Me being me asked him what was the biggest one they do, well the rest is history and three of us are marching around the campsite with the three biggest icecreams that you’ve ever seen in your life. I’ll tell you the whole story when I’ve a little more time:p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,what happened ,,,wassss :)

Great replies here. I write a Wordpress blog and there is a lot of involvement on there about the VeeDub. I write in it, play guitar, Djembe drum, read books, take the grandkids to the beach, etc. Thing is. Memories can’t be planned. Your Bus will allow them to happen naturally. You can take it down to a local beauty spot, park up and put the kettle on and things inside and around the Bus started to develop. The stories just start to happen. I’m starting up a one to one conversation video/podcast concerning health and well being. How people found positives and new found interests in their lives from the last 2 1/2 years. I was a nurse until last year. Now retired. So I’m interested in how people have fared. ‘Retired Nurse in a VeeDub Bus’ will be the podcast title. A couple of old wooden fold up chairs and a table, a pot of tea or coffee, some biccies and an outside the VeeDub chat. So. It’s as it is. Things develop in a lovely way. As others here have said and done. Lots of my home and hobby stuff in there too. All the best and it will definitely take on a patina over time and become yours and yours alone.

My interior is basic stock and displays little personalisation in it really. My stuff for camping comes in and so I make it comfortable for my time there. Once I clear it out its like noones ever been there :D

Hey all. Cheers for the replies. I think when i start getting out in her properly etc it will come in time i guess. As there is only me i can get my comforts in etc. I think when get the electrics like ports, leisure battery, maybe a proper fridge etc etc go in with little homely bits and bobs i think it will be like a home from home or i will try and get her that way ha.🤙.

First thing you need to confirm is working is the horn. Yup. It's distinctive and everyone loves a "toot". It brings more smiles and waves than you can imagine. BEST memories.

First thing you need to confirm is working is the horn. Yup. It's distinctive and everyone loves a "toot". It brings more smiles and waves than you can imagine. BEST memories.
Hey metal. I am actually thinking of getting a klaxon horn just for sheer fun ha. 🙂

Velgreeno, I'm at the bare interior stage and been spending time looking at other's ideas.
I think yours is similar to what I'd want to do - simple but classy.
Hey Nick that's cool. It took me about 6 weeks to make everything from door cards interior panels to the units and curtains etc i did make ahem 1 or 2 mistakes in the process ha but i got there eventually. Cheers 🙂🤙.

Latest posts