Accelerator fan shroud cable guide

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graysummers

Reaction score
Little Village on the MidWest Wales Coast
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
Anyone know if you should be able to see the accelerator cable metal guide tube that goes through the fan shroud and firewall poking out underneath the bus chassis? I’ve been underneath and all I can see is the flexi hose that goes over the gear box. It goes right up to the metal and then you see nowt. I’ve been trying to replace the accelerator cable and can only get to the end of the flexi hose. After that? Blockage which doesn’t allow the cable to go further into the engine compartment. The old tube I removed is shorter than the new one I’ve just bought. I’m wondering if it’s a bit Heath Robinson and the flexi is located a bit more closer to the engine and now causing huge problems.

Cheers. That helps enormously. I think I’ll have to get a new flexi hose now alongside the new fan shroud metal tube guide I bought. I’m hoping I can feed the flexi through the hole from underneath the bus in that gap. I can see the old flexi hose sitting there. The old flexi removal? Needed coz it has no metal on the one end I can see. Fingers crossed. Again....thank you.

Just a quick update. Getting the accelerator cable from front to back? I’ve now read a lot of advice and people’s’ reflective stories regarding the challenges or simplicity of this task. Obstacles. Simply that phenomenon. Getting a bendy piece of wire through a few tube channels and holes at the back of the bus. My piece of good fortune after mucking about for an absolute age? I had no old cable to pull through the new one. Please forgive me for stating the obvious and I’m not teaching anyone how to ‘Suck Eggs’. But sometimes I search for information on the internet and tiny little insights or ideas help me enormously.

So....I’d kept an old plastic covered car aerial (thin and long). Cut the tip off. Put it through the fan shroud (into the top hole of two behind the carburettor). It still had the broken plastic that attaches to the roof on it. So it can’t disappear into the fan housing. Jiggling it about, it found it’s way through the various holes in the shroud, back tin and metal cross members in the chassis. Got a torch and could see it underneath the bus. The cable had easily got from front of bus, through the metal long tube and hung there waiting to go through the over gearbox bell flexi hose. Doing this simple bit the challenge then is to get the new cable inside the engine bay. Here was the Godsend. The old cable has that parts number info short red plastic sleeve on it. Tape it with electrician tape to the car aerial end. Then..push the end of the new cable into the other end of that Godsend red tube. A really tight and snug fit. The thing is.....it’s universal. Red tube meets cable end. Get inside the engine bay (not literally) and gently pull the car aerial out. I found the end of new cable and flexi hose can meet obstacles with nudging at metal. And you have to go back under to position the flexi tube through holes in the chassis as it goes on it’s journey to house itself. But it took about 5 minutes of me going engine/underneath/engine/underneath. But finally that moment of the cable appearing inside the engine. The last bit? The metal through shroud tube positioned. Mind you, straight metal tubes don’t sit well in the little rollercoaster ride of fan shroud to cross member. May need a little tweaking with a downward bend for lining up going ‘down a gentle gradient hill’.

Now I know some may say put all the tubes in place and it will find it’s way. But. That metal through shroud tube is straight and I found it wouldn’t go. Kept hitting metal. Maybe you can keep working on it and shaping it. Probably easier. But hey! Got there in the end.

Sorry for the waffle. But it may help somebody sometime.

Update and how choices can change. Now the thing is that when you get new accelerator cable, depending on the length required, it has 2 types of attachments at the front of the bus end. Mine is the ‘C’ shaped one for RHD bought from Just Kampers. Once I’d got the cable through to the engine bay I thought it would be an easy hook it through the ‘through shaft’ to ‘linkage’ end plate at the cab/front end of the bus. No way! That C shape isn’t friendly with that hole in the plate. It won’t go in. The gap in the C hook is really small and won’t house. This is the one.

https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t2-bay-window-parts/t2-bay-pedals-cables-levers/accelerator-cables-fittings/214-721-555-d-accelerator-cable-righthand-drive-vw-t2-bay-1600cc-1969-1971.html

After a few hours of thinking through cotter pin, small bolt pivot, etc...adaptations to house the C hook by sitting it next to the plate, which all failed due to lack of space in and around the housing site. My ‘I love and cherish everything stock as long as I can afford it’ monster status has now flown out the window. Even replacing all the different springs in the linkage system and pedal for new ones, new rubber bell housing for the wobbly linkage? Well? It all still wobbles that ancient linkage. Loads of play. So.....now I’ve bought a Butty’s Bits throttle kit. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Latest posts