Adjustable front beam recommendations for dropped spindles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3crispies

Reaction score
I am in process of replacing our front beam (standard width), few questions before I start;
anyone used say creative engineering or transport haus etc and opinion on their beams as read older reviews about the later,
on the trailing arms whats involved on removing these from torsion leaves in respect to tension etc and lastly do the torsion leaves if not broken just slide out and are the direction orientated.
:D :D

I’ve got a Transporterhaus beam on my bus and it’s superb and have fitted several to buses. Best on the market in my opinion.

K@rlos said:
I’ve got a Transporterhaus beam on my bus and it’s superb and have fitted several to buses. Best on the market in my opinion.
Thanks other than idler assembly was there any other seals etc I need to order with it other than reusing leaves, brakes etc. Do you also recommend new torsion arms as wont be able to press new balljoints in myself

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Grease seals for the torsion arms. Cool air do an exchange service on arms as do Transporterhaus I believe. Failing that is there a lorry workshop local to you? They’ll have a suitable press and I’m sure they would do it for you if you ask nicely.

Where about are you? If local I’ll do it for you as I myself am a lorry mechanic :mrgreen:

There’s no issues regarding the tension of the leaves, as unlike the rear, the arms can sag fully in their unloaded position once you have removed the spindles. You’ll probably find it easiest to remove the spindles and trailing arms as one assembly and then split them down on a work bench.

How narrow a beam are you looking at getting, as this will determine whether you need ‘narrowed’ lower trailing arms as well?

The leaves just slide in and out from either side. It is advisable to keep them in the same orientation as they were removed, as this means the wear will stay in the same direction. You will have to shorten and re-dimple the leaves to suit the narrowed beam. Arguably, this is the hardest part of the whole job as it requires some accurate drilling with a 45 degree bit.

Also bear in mind that the track rods need to be shortened (cut, re-tap and slot is the best way). New idler bushes will need pressing in as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers based nr Cambs
K@rlos said:
Grease seals for the torsion arms. Cool air do an exchange service on arms as do Transporterhaus I believe. Failing that is there a lorry workshop local to you? They’ll have a suitable press and I’m sure they would do it for you if you ask nicely.

Where about are you? If local I’ll do it for you as I myself am a lorry mechanic :mrgreen:

Moseley said:
There’s no issues regarding the tension of the leaves, as unlike the rear, the arms can sag fully in their unloaded position once you have removed the spindles. You’ll probably find it easiest to remove the spindles and trailing arms as one assembly and then split them down on a work bench.

How narrow a beam are you looking at getting, as this will determine whether you need ‘narrowed’ lower trailing arms as well?

The leaves just slide in and out from either side. It is advisable to keep them in the same orientation as they were removed, as this means the wear will stay in the same direction. You will have to shorten and re-dimple the leaves to suit the narrowed beam. Arguably, this is the hardest part of the whole job as it requires some accurate drilling with a 45 degree bit.

Also bear in mind that the track rods need to be shortened (cut, re-tap and slot is the best way). New idler bushes will need pressing in as well.

Standard so hopefully be easier as dont fancy cutting and dimpling leaves as booked into a display in 3 weeks [emoji41]

3crispies said:
Moseley said:

Standard so hopefully be easier as dont fancy cutting and dimpling leaves as booked into a display in 3 weeks [emoji41]

Completely missed where you mentioned standard width! Too used to people posting up about narrowed beams! Well most of what I read is irrelevant... apart from the pressing in of the new idler bushes which can be done with some threaded bar and some carefully selected washers.

Latest posts