Advice on fitting child seat

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddffrost

Reaction score
Hi,

This will be my first season as a dad (12 weeks tomorrow) so just wondered if anyone has fitted a child seat in their van?

If so front or back and how etc?

Pics welcomed

Thanks

Dave

Personally I would go for the back, never let the kids in the front, hardly any crumple zone, scares me enough being up front with wagons on narrow fast A roads :shock:

If you have rear seat belts they fit like most cars. If you dont have any belts in the rear and its not a panel van conversion all the anchor points will be in place for belts. About £40 from Just Kampers

My lad came home from the hospital in the front, rear facing baby seat, using 3 point retractable belt

S5000629.jpg

and now travels in the back, front facing with 3 point belt ( non-retractable) hes 18 months now

IMG_7386.jpg

the problem I have had is that I dont think the just campers ones are that long, so I dont think a rear facing seat would fit there, I can see what you mean about a crumple zone though, it scares the shit out of me too! but I would think a rear facing child seat would be ok ish, as you have no legs to crush, as they are nice and safe up high.

just have a go and see how you get on.

lt us know.

Mark

My daughter (3 year old) will only travel in the front, this was due to the fact that i only had lap belts in the back. I have not long had 3 point belts fitted in the back (panelvan conversion) as the wife is pregnant and will need to fit another child seat in the back.
A rear facing child seat in the front will be OK as i would always prefer child seats protected with 3 pointers

If the normal J.K. belts aren't long enough, they sell extender lengths to clip to the original belt to make sure it will fit through/round a child seat.

I had this headache with my T25 Multivan and I'm about ready to do the same to the Bay westy now that its nearly finished :mrgreen:

Children are thought to be safer in the rears of cars but I think a lot of that is irrelevant in a camper van.
As long as the seat belts are in good order, correctly fitted its all simple stuff.

Its great when they progress into booster seats - much less bulk in the van when camping! :D

Yep booster seats are great. Our kids are both in booster seats now. A few years ago we went camping and with full car seats, they where a pain in the arse, keeping moving them around the van to make room to reach something.
The seats that is not the kids :!:

I'm gonna have a look at ours tomorrow night, I definitely don't want her in the front though. She's be in the middle of the road for a start.

I think i'm gonna go for the behind me option.

ballbag said:
I'm gonna have a look at ours tomorrow night, I definitely don't want her in the front though. She's be in the middle of the road for a start.

I think i'm gonna go for the behind me option.
Yeah good point, my daughters in the front but my van is UK RHD dont think i would have her in the front if it was LHD :(

Latest posts