Air shocks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamski

Reaction score
So I'm getting a little sick of the speed bumps, but while my bus height is just about ok, i've had to remove my overriders.

I'm thinking of getting some new ones, and thinking that air shocks up front might be good for adjusting the front up and down.

Anyone got some experience? I've heard T2D do an install which I would be very interested to hear about...

I don't want to go down the whole gas tank route, just be able to raise and lower every now and then...

Think I'm goin to go with the T2D boys next year. Now while to sell my kidneys...

Monroe air shocks seem to be a popular route. Think a few guys on here are running them. Evil ben seems to be the man to talk to about it.

As matt says have a chat with evil Ben he has supplied a number of people on here with shocks which are the same ones that t2d use and it is a fairly straight forward process to do yourself saving you some labour charges

Pete

They're even cheaper if you import them yourselves iirc mine came to under £100 delivered including customs charges & went on pretty easily.
Bought mine from eBay, will try to look up the name of the place & exact costs when I get home.

Hi Loxy,
It would be really handy if you could help with some part numbers, and the other things that I need to source (compressor, gauges etc). The people I contact in the states seem to be very helpful, but they need to know the sizes/part numbers.

Thanks,

->Adam

p.s. I have spoken with Evil Ben, he is out of stock right now, but he knows his stuff on this. I'm based in west london, so cornwall is quite far. I'm quite keen to get the work done locally by autotechniks when I have some tweaks done to some other things. Otherwise I'll go the T2D route.

The shorter your available suspension travel, the bumpier it is likely to be; even with new, best-quality suspension dampers! Substituting low profile tyres, will also tend to stiffen the suspension further and hence excaserbate the problem.

adamski said:
Hi Loxy,
It would be really handy if you could help with some part numbers, and the other things that I need to source (compressor, gauges etc). The people I contact in the states seem to be very helpful, but they need to know the sizes/part numbers.

Thanks,

->Adam

p.s. I have spoken with Evil Ben, he is out of stock right now, but he knows his stuff on this. I'm based in west london, so cornwall is quite far. I'm quite keen to get the work done locally by autotechniks when I have some tweaks done to some other things. Otherwise I'll go the T2D route.

Let us know how you get on - i'm keen to go this route as well. dropped spindles and coilies at the mo

i am picking my new (first) van up from T2D tomorrow, which includes air shocks, i'll let you know how i find it.

Ok, this is what I bought:
Monroe MA803 Max-Air shock absorbers from Northernautoparts in the US, ebay link here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Air-Shocks-1971-1979-Super-Beetle-411-412-Thing-/300618909871?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ABeetle&hash=item45fe4888af#ht_2663wt_1163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't got round to utilising a compressor etc yet, but will do at some point. I'm running a creative engineering balljoint narrowed weedeater (1) and Transporterhaus crossover dropped spindles and the shocks just about fit - it was a tight squeeze getting them on & they just clear the trailing arms.

Theres a thread on here already about what others have done that might be useful too:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16466&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In fact just reading that again I'm interested to see that others have used MA803 on the rear & MA789 on the front, will have to compare the specs...

Hope that helps.

Links to specs...
MA803: http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPart/displayPartDetails.do?partKey=294837&catalogKey=343&partNumber=MA803&catalogCode=monroe&loadStatus=ACTIVE&locale=en&methodName=displayPartDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MA789: http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPart/displayPartDetails.do?partKey=294832&catalogKey=343&partNumber=MA789&catalogCode=monroe&loadStatus=ACTIVE&locale=en&methodName=displayPartDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dirty Harry said:
I'm running the Monroe MA803 and got them from Nothern autoparts in the USA, works great :D
cool thanks- hope you dont mind a few more questions?

what kind of compressor you running? and do you run the same pressure all the time or find you adjust it?
what usable height difference do you get?

cheers bud

Forgot to mention....
The shock kit comes with hose & fittings to allow you to pressurise them with a foot pump so you don't necessarily need anything else to get them to work ;)
Only thing I'm not sure about is cos they are joined by a T-piece does this have an effect on the suspension handling? I'm wondering if you could get some roll induced by the movement of air between the two shocks???

r73 said:
Dirty Harry said:
I'm running the Monroe MA803 and got them from Nothern autoparts in the USA, works great :D

what kind of compressor you running? and do you run the same pressure all the time or find you adjust it?

cheers bud

I do not have a compressor connected yet, i pressurerised them at about 2 bar, the shocks come with a complete kit to connect them.
i can lift the van about 4 to 5cm's and it still is comfortable but my tire size wil also help with that (195*75).

Dirty Harry said:
r73 said:
Dirty Harry said:

cheers bud

I do not have a compressor connected yet, i pressurerised them at about 2 bar, the shocks come with a complete kit to connect them.
i can lift the van about 4 to 5cm's and it still is comfortable but my tire size wil also help with that (195*75).

thanks, sounds good

Loxy said:
Ok, this is what I bought:
Monroe MA803 Max-Air shock absorbers from Northernautoparts in the US, ebay link here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Air-Shocks-1971-1979-Super-Beetle-411-412-Thing-/300618909871?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ABeetle&hash=item45fe4888af#ht_2663wt_1163" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't got round to utilising a compressor etc yet, but will do at some point. I'm running a creative engineering balljoint narrowed weedeater (1) and Transporterhaus crossover dropped spindles and the shocks just about fit - it was a tight squeeze getting them on & they just clear the trailing arms.

Theres a thread on here already about what others have done that might be useful too:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16466&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In fact just reading that again I'm interested to see that others have used MA803 on the rear & MA789 on the front, will have to compare the specs...

Hope that helps.

Links to specs...
MA803: http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPart/displayPartDetails.do?partKey=294837&catalogKey=343&partNumber=MA803&catalogCode=monroe&loadStatus=ACTIVE&locale=en&methodName=displayPartDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MA789: http://catalog.monroe.com/catalogPart/displayPartDetails.do?partKey=294832&catalogKey=343&partNumber=MA789&catalogCode=monroe&loadStatus=ACTIVE&locale=en&methodName=displayPartDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,

This is really interesting, how would you go about fitting air shocks to a standard set up? Would more air increase the height, or just the firmness? Are these shocks standard, in as so much as they are oil filled so work as a normal damper, but with a air chamber to firm uop, or increase the height?

Might be useful to lift the rear of the bus when loaded, or just to tweak the westy saggy rear?

Would these work well on a stock set up you think?

Cheers!

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Here are some pics of a guy that sells these shocks in Germany, this should work on sagged rear end also!

9871.20111110-195715.jpg

9995.20111110-195728.jpg

10783.20111110-195639.jpg

Cheers, Harry

aogrady said:
Gi!

Cheers DH, have mailed him, cant see them on the web site

Sorry for the tread hijack :msn4:

As you were....... :msn4:

Cheers,

Alistair

You got PM.