Alternator pulley

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is turning into a bit of a saga :lol: hopefully it has a happy ending.

I added a shim from this kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391959044077

It goes behind the front half of the pulley. It moves the pulley 'back' less than a millimeter. I found using a spirit level against the fan belt top and bottom that the belt was further 'forward' at the alt pulley than the crank pulley. So I read about these shim kits and added one of the thicker ones which reduces the mis-alignment a bit.

The crappy mini breather filter fell apart and scratched my new CSP crank pulley - great :cry:

Thats just an aside in the story, anyway the old maybe OG style alternator pulley kept working loose after 30-40 miles and was covered with a fine dry black dust. Paint? rubber dust from the belt? no idea. I kept checking it every so often, and had to tighten it three times on a 180 mile journey.

I put on a new pulley I bought from M7, and it should be easier to see the dust as it's chrome! Had to lightly sand the pulley as it wouldn't go on the alt shaft. Then tapped it on with a rubber mallet - it's nice and tight on there. So everything has been renewed, woodruff key, pulley, shims (10) nut and cone washer.

Yesterday have been up the coast again to Craster and back, a journey of around 120 miles and the belt is *not* loose and theres no black dust, yay! :mrgreen:

I also added a dab of paint on the new pulley, washer and nut after tightening it, and can see by this that the nut had not loosened.

Problem solved maybe?? who knows. I'll have to try and get another day trip in before the imminent cold spell with lots of salt. (no salt spreading yet in the north east) Only after a bit more use will I be confident that everything is OK.

pics to follow

6c65cf01eed24803efc3559005a4f272.jpg

New breather pipe

1b579a995fc27c34b830bc3593083e76.jpg

Scratched crank pulley

1ea68a7493d42fb84c31ca48587383a1.jpg

The old generator pulley wheel.
24a81521ebe3d7ae13ccc1d46cc61e5a.jpg

New alternator pulley

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just to update this thread I have done several hundred miles now with the new chrome pulley wheel and all seems fine now. I marked the wheel and nut to see if there was any movement and am pleased to say it has all remained stable the fan belt hasn’t worked loose again.
So sometimes ‘chrome does get you home’ 😂😂😅

Latest posts