• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Ambulance fans

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Give me a couple of days or so to get them from the back of the garage. I may also have a switch otherwise I think a wiper switch can be used.

OK I've found them.
The bad news is that I don't have a switch, the good is is that I have their covers.

I bought these about 10 years ago and was told that they worked. After a bit of confusion I ended up with two pairs of fans and one had a loom attached so I used that pair. The fans spin easily with light finger pressure but I can't test them electrically.

If you are interested then I'd have no problem refunding you for their cost if they didn't work. I'm pretty sure that they will, they've been stored in dry conditions but who knows?

Attachments

• 20220816_103107.jpg
    20220816_103107.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220816_103117.jpg
    20220816_103117.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220816_103141.jpg
    20220816_103141.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220816_103158.jpg
    20220816_103158.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220816_103208.jpg
    20220816_103208.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I think you will find the fans go in the tube that runs left to right across the front panel about knee height .
they are for the deluxe model to feed air through the door ducts into the rear for the microbus

It's less than a week since TMCG asked for them so I need to give him some more time.

If he doesn't want them or reply in the next week or so then I'll pm you about the price.
If he does I think I know of another pair that might be for sale but I'm not going to ask about them yet.

Is that OK?

It's less than a week since TMCG asked for them so I need to give him some more time.

If he doesn't want them or reply in the next week or so then I'll pm you about the price.
If he does I think I know of another pair that might be for sale but I'm not going to ask about them yet.

Is that OK?
Yeah that's cool

The air comes out at face level.

The fans are two-speed. The fans fit inside the sheet-steel ventilation ducts, behind the removable sheet-steel covers at either end close to the door pillars, held in place by self-tapping screws. One needs to drill holes in these covers for the fan wiring.

The air comes out of ALL the normal "fresh-air" vents, but at higher velocity. I devised a circuit for those I have retro-fitted to my 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental, so that they only function when the fresh-air flaps have been opened using the blue-knobbed dashboard levers which open the vent flaps behind the front grille.

292786.jpg

1968~72 VW Type 2, dashboard, twin ventilation control-lever assembly, substituted in place of the single ventilation control-lever assembly, in my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 campervan. This allows me to independently control the opening, of the left-hand and right-hand, ventilation flaps.

Also shown, are two white nylon spacers, with ¼ inch earth terminal, on the dashboard, ventilation control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. These provide the earth, for my intra-duct ventilation fans, so the fans will only operate, when the front ventilation flaps are open.

292936.jpg

Shown at the bottom of the picture are views from both sides, of a white nylon spacer, with rivited brass, ¼ inch (i.e. 6·3 mm) blade, earth terminal, found on the dashboard, control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. This provides the switch-current ground, for the relay of the stock, factory-fitted, heater-booster fan (located in the engine compartment), of the 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2. It acts as the fan switch, when the flaps on the exhaust heat exchangers are opened.

This type of spacer, is NOT found on the 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2, but can be retro-fitted, if desired, as I have done, on my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2; both for my retro-fitted heater booster fan and the intra-duct, ventilation booster fans.

292785.jpg

This is the dashboard-mounted, double-throw, rotary switch (VW Part No. 211 959 511 A) associated with the pair of two-speed, intra-duct ventilation fans (VW Part No. 211 959 113 E) which fit inside the 1968~79 VW Type 2, ventilation ducts, behind the inspection covers, beneath the dashboard, in the cab.

292784.jpg

292783.jpg

These intra-duct, two-speed, ventilation booster-fans (VW Part No. 211 959 113 E), known to some in North America as "ambulance fans", fit behind the inspection plates, inside the ventilation ducts, in the cab, above the kickboards and beneath the dashboard.

They are operated by an associated, dashboard-mounted, double-throw rotary switch (VW Part No. 211 959 511 A).

1992251.jpg

1968~79 VW Type 2 cab-duct "ambulance-fans" modified electrical circuit

Last edited:
The fans are two-speed. The fans fit inside the sheet-steel ventilation ducts, behind the removable sheet-steel covers at either end close to the door pillars, held in place by self-tapping screws. One needs to drill holes in these covers for the fan wiring.

The air comes out of ALL the normal "fresh-air" vents, but at higher velocity. I devised a circuit for those I have retro-fitted to my 1973 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental, so that they only function when the fresh-air flaps have been opened using the blue-knobbed dashboard levers which open the vent flaps behind the front grille.

292786.jpg

1968~72 VW Type 2, dashboard, twin ventilation control-lever assembly, substituted in place of the single ventilation control-lever assembly, in my British specification, 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 campervan. This allows me to independently control the opening, of the left-hand and right-hand, ventilation flaps.

Also shown, are two white nylon spacers, with ¼ inch earth terminal, on the dashboard, ventilation control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. These provide the earth, for my intra-duct ventilation fans, so the fans will only operate, when the front ventilation flaps are open.

292936.jpg

Shown at the bottom of the picture are views from both sides, of a white nylon spacer, with rivited brass, ¼ inch (i.e. 6·3 mm) blade, earth terminal, found on the dashboard, control-lever, spindle bracket, which fits behind the instrument panel. This provides the switch-current ground, for the relay of the stock, factory-fitted, heater-booster fan (located in the engine compartment), of the 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2. It acts as the fan switch, when the flaps on the exhaust heat exchangers are opened.

This type of spacer, is NOT found on the 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2, but can be retro-fitted, if desired, as I have done, on my 1973 VW 1600 Type 2; both for my retro-fitted heater booster fan and the intra-duct, ventilation booster fans.

292785.jpg

This is the dashboard-mounted, double-throw, rotary switch (VW Part No. 211 959 511 A) associated with the pair of two-speed, intra-duct ventilation fans (VW Part No. 211 959 113 E) which fit inside the 1968~79 VW Type 2, ventilation ducts, behind the inspection covers, beneath the dashboard, in the cab.

292784.jpg

292783.jpg

These intra-duct, two-speed, ventilation booster-fans (VW Part No. 211 959 113 E), known to some in North America as "ambulance fans", fit behind the inspection plates, inside the ventilation ducts, in the cab, above the kickboards and beneath the dashboard.

They are operated by an associated, dashboard-mounted, double-throw rotary switch (VW Part No. 211 959 511 A).

1992251.jpg

1968~79 VW Type 2 cab-duct "ambulance-fans" modified electrical circuit
Now that's Cool , where can you get another pair ?

Now that's Cool , where can you get another pair ?

Where can one get another pair of what?

Are you by any chance referring to the white nylon spacers, with 0.25 inch earth spade-terminals? I salvaged mine from two 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2s, but these rarely turned up in breakers' yards here. They are probably more readily available in the North America, where the 1972~79 VW 1600 Type 2 was NOT sold!

The ventilation booster fans were common in Australia, but relatively rare in North America, where in the past I have seen pairs of them listed for circa US£300. One might find them available for sale in Australia, but expect to pay upward of Aus$75 each plus shipping (horrendously expensive!).

Thanks Naskeet , I could do with the fans . Might have a look at engineering some .

These after-market, two-speed, ventilation booster fans, fit inside the cab ventilation ducts, below the dashboard, behind the inspection covers, adjacent to the cab-door, A-pillars.

376102.jpg

They were available in 2007 from Bluebird Customs, in Great Britain. They might still be available!

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/Split bay interior.htm

Tel. 01 254 - 888 416

Mobile: 07 811 - 949 477

Unlike the genuine, Volkswagen factory-fitted, two-speed, ventilation booster fan's nine-bladed impeller, these fans have have an impeller, with only five blades.

Here are some possibly genuine 1968~79 VW Type 2 "ambulance" fans that have recently been listed on E-bay by antandlaura2012:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203991128269
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203982062250

Some have just come up on Facebook in the UK there’s also a pair in the US on The Samba forum although they are pricey and would cost a bit to get to UK.

6C50FC56-513A-479D-B72F-240FE9547A57.jpeg

Back in the early-1990s, I bought a pair, complete with sheet-metal covers, but without wiring or switch, for a relatively modest £10; having haggled the vendor down from £15.

Latest posts