Annoying brake downs

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Reaction score
Hi all
So I keep having an annoying thing happening
I'm running a new rebuilt engine and I'm very chuffed with myself
First ever engine build and al seems to be ticking along ok , up to just over 900 miles
Now !! , (1776 twin webber 40 , leccy fuel pump , accuspark dizzy Bosch coil) will
Stick her on rolling road when I get past the thousand miles , so running probably a little rich at the moment .
But keep getting a loss of power doesn't want to run feels like it's missing
Has happened three times , changed from points dizzy after the first occurrence.
Has happened on the flat ,up hill,and down hill at various speeds .
Stutters won't run . Get out have a look , not running hot everything seems ok .
Turn on wont tick over won't run missing/ stuttering.
Checked fuel pump , checked filters clean and fuel in filter , can hear fuel spray in carbs when
Pull throttle. Can't just Rev the bejesus out of it and clear it it won't have it .
Pull dizzy cap check rotor cap etc . All ok
And then as if by magic it will start and run fine without any problems.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Chico

i had something similar, first time replacing the carb cured it and then another few times it seemed to be muck in the carb but it was a pict 34. Is your tank clean? Another time I found my fuel hoses were perishing internally even though they were new and the carb would block up with small bits of pipe debris. It was just like that though really intermittent and then would clear itself????? So frustrating.

i had something similar, first time replacing the carb cured it and then another few times it seemed to be muck in the carb but it was a pict 34. Is your tank clean? Another time I found my fuel hoses were perishing internally even though they were new and the carb would block up with small bits of pipe debris. It was just like that though really intermittent and then would clear itself????? So frustrating.

sorry for double post for some reason i have to push it twice to get it through and on some occasions it comes through twice. I notice some others get that!!

Had something similar once. Turned out a piece of rubber, broken off the the inside of the fuel line, was intermittently blocking the needle valve in the carb. Took me a while to find it because of the intermittent nature of the problem.

It's also worth re checking all the electrical connections and maybe try a spare coil (any 12v coil will work).

Thanks guys

It's so annoying , wish I could pin it down to fuel or electrics

Not sure how clean tank is , was bits in the pict 34 when rebuilt and filters were black some debris when first got van , but kept swapping them out till run clear , clean and clear for fair few months now , both on old and new engine .

Probably should have done tank when I had engine out , but wanted to get new engine back in and be up and running again .

Thanks trikky I'll swap coil out and try that - as a cheap/ easy one .

Thx

Chico

Hey mate swap the electric ignition out !! I had same issue with mine turned out to be ignition kit !!!

Hi I had the same problem that you are describing it went on for about 2 years while I changed everything from fuel pump to carb, leads, ect and then by chance I found it was the electronic dizzy that was faulty with an intermittant problem, changed it out for Petronix dizzy, coil, and leads and it has been running as sweet as ever since. worth checking out good luck with it.

Just a quick update
Finally got round to pulling the tank
Have changed coil , dizzy ,and new loom , but still having the shutdowns .
So was reasonably clean but the gauze filter had broken away and was floating and there was a piece of plastic , a bit of a wrapper off a water bottle or something . So I'm hoping that will solve it , still got to put it all back together though !

And just to give you all a laugh
I dropped the engine out on Friday , all was going well
Gearbox propped up ,jack under engine , wiggle wiggle , came a little but wouldn't disinguage , pulled it wiggled went away and had a cup of tea (generally solves most things) came back yanked it pulled it nothing . Then in what could be best described as a John Cleese moment " right that's it you've had your chance I'm going to give you a damnd good thrashing " I was throwing spanners back in the tool bag , noticed the little 8mm ,looked at the engine , looked at the spanner, looked at the throttle lever ,looked at the spanner got down on me knees undone the accelerator cable and pulled the engine out . How stupid did I feel ! I obviously apologised to the van .
What a tit !

photobucket
Chico

Latest posts