Anti roll bars

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
I was looking at a way to prevent motorway swerving in high winds and passing vehicles. Originally, I was thinking that Koni shocks would help, but I feel that maybe my money would be better spent on an anti roll bar instead? Shocks are more for up and down movement, rather than sideways is my logic.

So, has anyone experienced better motorway handling after fitting an anti roll bar? Empi heavy duty or standard? Front bar or both ends?

Thanks.

I like the battles with the wind when its really windy its like sailing a yacht, and you have to sail into the wind, hold on tight and try not to scream :D

I found tacking is quite useful when trying to go against the wind ;) On a more serious note have you tried putting more air in your tyres?

I had 195/55R15 all round with load rating of 86, at about 35 psi and it was seriously scary in the wind on a duel carriageway. I pumped them up to about 50 (still under their max of 55) and it was much better.

I changed wheels and now have 185C14 van tyres on the back (load rating of something like 102) and 185/65R14 4x4 tyres on the front with a load rating of 92. I've put abut 45 psi in the rear and about 40 in the front - even better in the wind.

Oh and lowering seems to help.

Anti roll bars won't eradicate the motorway slalom. You'll still affected by passing trucks, coaches, etc and unexpected gusts of wind.
It's even worse when you're low and have a narrowed front end as you have to fight the truck ruts in the left hand lane as well.

fallingoffalot said:
I found tacking is quite useful when trying to go against the wind ;) On a more serious note have you tried putting more air in your tyres?

I had 195/55R15 all round with load rating of 86, at about 35 psi and it was seriously scary in the wind on a duel carriageway. I pumped them up to about 50 (still under their max of 55) and it was much better.

I changed wheels and now have 185C14 van tyres on the back (load rating of something like 102) and 185/65R14 4x4 tyres on the front with a load rating of 92. I've put abut 45 psi in the rear and about 40 in the front - even better in the wind.

Oh and lowering seems to help.

I have Hankook 185 R14C tyres on at the moment, but put an extra 10psi in each tyre, it doesn't bulge so much now, but we've only had 50mph gusts or zero wind here recently. So can't tell just yet. I plan to change the tyres to summer 195s and upgrade the quality.

I had spoken to a T25 guy at a campsite who had fitted an anti roll bar kit, and he noticed a big difference. I might be tempted to check to see if the steering coupling is still in shape, but I haven't noticed any deterioration since the steering was completely overhauled about 5 years ago.

I’m at stock height with 185r14 c van tyres, up-rated anti roll bar and Koni shocks. I don’t think there’s much more you can do suspension wise, but due to the bread loaf shape of the bay window bus you will always feel the prevailing cross wind on the motorway. Steering components in good condition help a lot so you don’t have to correct too much. If you have some play in your steering it will feel more hair-raising when the cross wind suddenly buffets you at a bridge or a higher bit of carriageway. So steering damper working, steering box not too worn, etc make it easier to straighten up back into your lane when being passed by a 42 ton HGV.

However with a bigger engine that doesn’t happen as much now [emoji23]

I have the thicker Empi front anti-roll bar fitted along with the rear one plus KYB shocks front and back. (J.K. kit) The steering box was adjusted at the same time. The difference in handling is significantly better!. Also stability on motorways much improved to an acceptable level. Standard ride height .
195/75 x 14 Hankook Optima tyres, 30 psi front. 40 psi rear.

Like Mike, I have thicker role bar and konis and I felt it was worth it, still moves though like Mike says.

I freewheeled down the a9 into Inverness on Friday reaching a max speed of 70mph in a side wind. I only needed both lanes on dual carriageway to keep a sense of direction. I'll try a bit more air in the tyres.... There may be no solution, although I hear that a late bay steering box might make things a bit more controllable?

Bluesnailman said:
Like Mike, I have thicker role bar and konis and I felt it was worth it, still moves though like Mike says.

I freewheeled down the a9 into Inverness on Friday reaching a max speed of 70mph in a side wind. I only needed both lanes on dual carriageway to keep a sense of direction. I'll try a bit more air in the tyres.... There may be no solution, although I hear that a late bay steering box might make things a bit more controllable?

Not really, I'm running a late bay steering box and you still get affected.

redgaz54 said:
I have the thicker Empi front anti-roll bar fitted along with the rear one plus KYB shocks front and back. (J.K. kit) The steering box was adjusted at the same time. The difference in handling is significantly better!. Also stability on motorways much improved to an acceptable level. Standard ride height .
195/75 x 14 Hankook Optima tyres, 30 psi front. 40 psi rear.

Been reading some debates about the rear anti roll bar kit. They are too low for some people , in that they may hit the ground if you’re really lowered. I know Ratwell wasn’t convinced by them either, but that was his opinion, plenty of others do report improvement.

For me, I think it’s something to definitely consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is an interesting subject for me.

I've got a 4" narrowed beam, with a standard anti-roll bar narrowed by the same amount.

I find that my bus isn't affected too much by crosswinds unless they are very strong.

With the 1955cc engine/5 speed the steering etc is comfortable at 70-80mph on motorways (autobahns, officer). I'm running a standard steering box setup but with everything fairly fresh (not too much play!).

I'm running standard, commercial rated tyres. I don't know how many people above are running non-commercial rated tyres as I believe this would make a big difference?

Coming back from a show in South Wales a few years ago I did notice I was rather more relaxed coming back over the severn bridge than many other camper drivers looked! :)

Had a rear ARB fitted by Paul at the garage. He welds the strengthening plates to the frame which I think is a great idea.
The van feels much better behaved on the road now more sure footed. Haven’t tried driving in winds yet.
Wish I’d done it a few years ago !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Graham at Midland Early Bay can supply a 4" narrowed beam made from one piece (not welded).

dubdubz said:
Tofufi said:

I've got a 4" narrowed beam, with a standard anti-roll bar narrowed by the same amount...

hello - any details on the narrowing of the ARB- welded and sleeved?

I'm sure a one piece one is a better solution.

However, I made mine before one piece ones became available. I cut mine down, bevelled the ends to ensure good penetration, then sleeved it with the sleeve having seam welds at each end and plug welds along their length. As it's a moderate spring steel the heat process of welding will influence the metal properties - so I inspect mine periodically to ensure no signs of impending failure are apparent.

:)

No trouble - mine has been fine for 10+ years now so it should be OK. That said, I'd definitely consider buying a new one rather than making one! :)

dubdubz said:
Tofufi said:
No trouble - mine has been fine for 10+ years now so it should be OK. That said, I'd definitely consider buying a new one rather than making one! :)

didn't know you could buy one off the shelf :shock:

You couldn't when I made mine, however:

Kyrk72 said:
Graham at Midland Early Bay can supply a 4" narrowed beam made from one piece (not welded).

(I can't see them on his website though, probably worth a phone call!)

:)

Its not on his website but he can supply them as I have one fitted that I purchased from him. Like you said best to speak to him.

Latest posts