Any Carb Guru's - Weber 36 IDF issues?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camperdan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Danbury
Any Carb Guru's able to offer any advice on the following please?.......

I finally got round to fitting a pair of original Italian Weber 36 IDFs that I have refreshed.

The carbs were originally on an Alfa but are now fitted to my 1641cc type 1 motor.
For starters I've fitted 50 idle jets, 115 mains, 180 airs, F11 tubes and 28 vents. Installed new service kits with 1.75 needles and the floats are set to 10mm, fuel pressure at 3psi. I also filled and re-drilled the idle air bleed bushings to 1.2mm (they were 2mm to start) as per the common practice identified by many on The Samba to better modify these carbs from Alfa to VW use. I also made sure the top plate gaskets had all the relevant holes and cut-outs in the correct place and modified where needed... as the service kits available today are not always quite right for original Italian Webers I was advised.

Anyway, after initial balancing and mixture setting adjustments it seems to run great, idles nice, revs clean...... I've not driven it yet mind as no MOT currently. However after switch off I notice a real strong smell of fuel which after investigation appears to be all four pump jets slowly dripping fuel into each barrel. They don't drip when the engine is running - only after shutting it off.

I removed the carbs again and rechecked all my float settings, re-confirmed the check balls and brass rod/weights are all installed correctly for each pump jet, re-checked fuel pressure settings and bench tested the needle valves to way over 3psi with no issues or leaks found - yet as soon as the carbs are back on the engine and set up again.... exactly the same issue? Dripping only after shutting off the engine?

Is this something any of you have heard of or experienced before or can advise on?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer.

Dan

Latest posts