Anyone know where this goes ??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowBay69

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1969 Bay Window
3585138C-1728-48A8-8373-D372F410AEC1.jpeg
Onto final bits of refit - think this came out of my van (it had some overspray on it) but i’ve no idea where it goes 😬

I think there should be two, one for each ankle :rolleyes:
It does look like a hanging on type strap, quite popular before the popularity of seatbelts. But it doesn’t look like a stock item or it may be the camera angle . Strap looks like the right vintage but get us a better shot of the fixing. Maybe P.O. Had a vertically challenged partner that needed an assist to get in the back, could be any fink :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, might be off the 34 to town :cool:

If it was ankle straps it would only be to straighten me back out …… nothing else!! 😂

EDDBE9C1-EDB1-45D3-B206-DA58101E8761.jpeg
2A1260C9-90C0-466D-ADF5-C34114AC9CB0.jpeg
Any ideas ?? Maybe a prize for the correct guess 🌈🌈👍👍

Arnt they door pulls for a vehicle.. perhaps beetle ?

Hi there, it might be a strap fixed to the righthand narrow cabinet (the one blinding the rear side window) of your Westfalia interior. It doesn't really seem original though...
Don't try this strap with anyone's foot ankle for whatever purpose. You might get stuck, since people of the 70ies were a lot smaller, you know😉

Best wishes from Henne

The ankles created a bit of a laff though ;)

The chrome effect is what’s making me think it’s after market or non stock. To my mind, as strange as it is, ;) The VW original if there was such a thing would have matched the fixing points to its other stuff like the coat holder type white knobs or the existing type door pulls or the slider top fixing cover or the rear hatch hinge covers. Even Westfalia sort of tried to keep to the recipe of stock or similar to stock as in there internal slider door pull at the rear of the slider. Possibly it’s a much stronger replacement for something that broke frequently like the slider pull. It would deffo work in that capacity. This is my version of this pull using a section of seat belt fitted to the existing two bolts. Works a treat and saves having to slam the door shut, just roll it slowly closed then a small pull to click it closed. Much appreciated by the neighbours at three in the morning.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, soft and gentle too, but no good for ankles:);):)
06341078-9850-4987-839C-26FEC90F77EA.jpeg06341078-9850-4987-839C-26FEC90F77EA.jpeg06341078-9850-4987-839C-26FEC90F77EA.jpeg:):);):)

Ha thanks for replies - it’s a Dormobile conversion. After paint I got shell back and boxes of bits. This was in boxes. It’s only because it had overspray on it that I’m pretty convinced it came off the van. Maybe I’m wrong 😑

Ozziedog that’s where i thought it went but I can’t find any screw holes in sliding door 🌈👍

Look Very similar to this .....(please ignore Albert and the leg)...not my leg....

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220831-083157.png
    Screenshot_20220831-083157.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 1
Id say someone has added or replaced a grab handle, like the ones pictured that were fitted originally (the off white rubber types).

RJS have you got a picture??
Also worth mentioning it swivels and sprung loaded (swivels back)
Seems to be held in with 2 countersunk self tappers.
Feels like we’re getting warmer 🌈🌈👍👍

Looks familiar but buggered if I can remember where it goes. Have you tried looking for holes that line up with screws?

I have - been around and looked again at all
places suggested too. I’m pretty sure it was fitted originally but I can’t remember where.
Day off tomorrow for looking…. and hopefully finish loom too !!)
🙏✅🌪🌪😬🌈👍

While you’re off looking for your two elusive screw holes, have a little ponder as to anything that may have been replaced during the resto. I.E. is it the exact same sliding door and are you 100% sure ? Has any of the furniture been replaced or repaired? It does still look like an aftermarket replacement or addition but the obvious places are either to aid getting in the cab for the passenger, or to aid getting in the rear for the peeps that have been lowered, or an aid for closing the slider or even getting up in bed. Perhaps look elsewhere like on any old door panels or side panels for tell tale signs.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,good luck with this great little mystery :)

Will do thanks - and will keep you all updated as the mystery deepens 🤓

Latest posts