anyone running 1641cc eninges in there buses?? with 1x 40IDF

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex

Reaction score
as above really, as ive got a standard 1600S/P which ill soon be converting to T/P and sticking a single twin 40dell carb and manifold on, i have or atleast i kno i can get hold of, soem 1641B+P's, just wondering if it'll make mush odds going to 1641 rather than the 1588 at the mo... also due to gound clearance isssues i doublt ill be albe to run a non standard exhasust so if that'll make a differecne, which it will, just though id let you know,

what are peoples thoughs on overheating 1641cc etc, and if i do go the extra few cc's with my new carb, will it be much of an imporvment without shitick a 4in1 exhasut on???

any advice/tips would be great....

my thinking is 1641's are borderline on a bus, but if in not fitting a 4into1 exhasut then i might as well just keep the 1588 and just run the fat carb on them instead!

what you think?

im having a 1641 built for my bus, running webber 34 icts, i think that its a bit of an old wives tales about 1641s

as long as you keep a check on it itll be fine

mine will be taped for an external oil cooler, and i might fit a deep sump, but that is a bit overkill

pritty sure the barrel wall thickness is reduced to gain the exra few CC's tho, so in theory they will heat up quicker, sauing that they are only as thin as 1776 b+p's iirc, sayin that that might be the whole 1679 to 1914cc barrel wall thickness,

im unsure the only major thing which is putting me off using the 1641b+P's, is:
1, my stock exsaust, ie it wont be able to breath well enough to make the most of the bigger CC's,

2, the cooling, as mines case is still a S/P case, with the old style non doghouse cooler. and i wont be tapping the case etc...(id love to but not on this engine, as its gonna be in and out in a day when i do, do this change....

3, the fact that i have 3 fairly new 1641 B+p's and one of my mates baja that he blew up, (the reson i only have three good ones is we blew one in his race car.....!!)

so adding them 3 into the equasion, and bearing in mind my stock 1588cc B+P's are all in good nick around the 140+ PSI mark... would you still stick the 1641's on??
remebering its only a extra 13.25cc's per cylinder... is it worth the hassel???

let me know cheers
alex.

to be honest you wont notice the difference in engine size... i converted my lump to 1641 and noticed no difference at all.... but when i stuck a webber on it made a huge difference.... more economical aswell....

think ive decided not to 1641 it, ill save my *bits and peices B+P's* for summat else!

i have decided on going for a 1588cc, single 40 dell, T/P heads, T/P doghouse style cooler (small one, no holes etc), so that means i can run the wide fan and better oil cooler, and only due to the ground cleance issue the standard exshaust will have to do,

(until i think up the master plan involing my empi 4int1 and some ingnious way to have a small but queit muffler under the battry tray, for best ground cleanace... and a pipe from the header to that.....)

im hoping to use a dog house oil cooler i have off an old engine and use SSP's converting seals... only bits im not 100% where they are/if ive got em are the 4x smaller case studs for top centre head bolts, and the correct wider fan, i must have some somwhere tho!!!

anyone got any info about running a old style case, using the doghouse oil cooler with the conversion seals? im guessing the holes for the inlet and outlet must be the same inner bore, only the mouting of em differnt??

what do you recon? safe to these conversion seals or not?

i wont be full flowing it as i dont wanna go to the lengths of splitting the case, not when i need the van and i have a mint bare AS41 duel releif case just waiting to be machined for my 1776B+P's which i would like to EFi Turbo!!! when funds allow (proberbly late next year then!!!)

cheers
alex.

I've converted a s/p motor to dual port and 1641 and fitted twin Dell'orto 34 FRD carbs, It has reconned heads, new HD oil pump all new internals, our local VW garage reckons there will be no problem with cooling as I have later tin ware and oil cooler. I'm not putting it in until the resto on my '68 is finally finished in a couple of months or so. Here is a pic...

DSCF1260.jpg

lookin good matey, what exhaust is that? is it a std 4into1 large bore EMPI style one,

as mine dont fit due to the engine support bar, but cos mine low im modding that anyway so hopfully ill be able to run that exhasut and a rasied engine brace.

have you had the engine in yet? you woulndt be albe to tell me where the header ends up would you???

as i dunno if ill have the ground cleanace to run the empi, i was thinking about running a kinda T1 turbo tuck away stle muffler like a really small back box under the battry tray exiting to the side behind that wheel......

i need to work out all the clearances between the the header to rear valence, and muffler to rear bumper, i might be able to run it stock....

cheers
alex.

It's a stock EMPI 4 into 1, not fitted it yet but the engine bar fits, just. Measuring it will clear the rear valance, again just and the single quiet pack should clear the bumper. I only got the EMPI cos it was going cheap, I have heard that they rust out pretty quick. This resto is costing a fortune. I'm gonna ditch the EMPI as soon as the engine is run in as I'm gonna swap it for a Bluebird customs S/S header and quietpack and then LPG the bus,

I have a stock remtec 1600 engine at the moment but will be hopefully fitting twin 34 icts, with 009 dizzy and blue coil. Hopefully it will be just enough extra beans to get up the hills, without too much strain on the engine.

Gonna rolling road it once they are fitted, so it will be hopefully nice and tuned. 8)

Don`t think I will need to do anything else...............for the moment :roll: :lol:

whats the copper pipe running across the front of you doghouse cooler

im getting a 1641 built as we speak, with webber 34 itcs,

speedwell68 said:
I've converted a s/p motor to dual port and 1641 and fitted twin Dell'orto 34 FRD carbs, It has reconned heads, new HD oil pump all new internals, our local VW garage reckons there will be no problem with cooling as I have later tin ware and oil cooler. I'm not putting it in until the resto on my '68 is finally finished in a couple of months or so. Here is a pic...

DSCF1260.jpg

slammedresto said:
whats the copper pipe running across the front of you doghouse cooler

It is attached with a pair of tommy clips. If you look closely there is a slot cut in the middle of it. It is to carry the fuel lines out to the carbs from a t piece. It keeps the fuel pipes out of the way of everything.

What with the centre swivel linkage, ignition leads, fuel filter and pipe it is getting very crowded. And what with having a moving carb linkage i figured it was the best way, adds a bit of functional bling to the engine too.

I've made a 1776 single port engine for my panel

Very good combo for those vehicles

1776, webcam 218/103° lobe center camshaft ,semi hemi heads, 7.7 C/R, kadrons on kadrons single ports manifolds with redrilled jets and Ø32mm venturies , with a céramic coated bugpack street max header and A1 dynomax muffler, sounds Great :) Approx 80/90 hp with a lot of torque from 2500 to 5000 rpm.

aap.jpg

abj.jpg

abs.jpg

Some beautifull sound :wink:[click]

alex said:
im hoping to use a dog house oil cooler i have off an old engine and use SSP's converting seals... only bits im not 100% where they are/if ive got em are the 4x smaller case studs for top centre head bolts, and the correct wider fan, i must have some somwhere tho!!!

anyone got any info about running a old style case, using the doghouse oil cooler with the conversion seals? im guessing the holes for the inlet and outlet must be the same inner bore, only the mouting of em differnt??

what do you recon? safe to these conversion seals or not?

cheers
alex.

I'm running that set up very happily, no problems at all. The SSP seals are tapered 8mm-10mm i believe. I put a post on VZI about it, i'll see if i can dig it out for you

Latest posts