Battery recommendation?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowBay69

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1969 Bay Window
Hi all - any recommendations for battery ? Found mine had split today.
Got a stock 69 with standard dynamo and wiring.
Was thinking of Halfords .. but thought there may be better options.
🌈👍

Hey @YellowBay69 i go to Halfords to get my batteries for my VW's. I've had no problems with them and the reason i go to them is you get a warranty for a couple of years. Any probs just take back and get new no worries. My VWs have got Halfords batteries in for years now and its all good. 🤙

I bought a Varta battery on-line and it was cheaper than Halfords even with my trade card! Might be worth looking around first.

We buy all our batteries from a Tayna Batteries online, great selection of brands and price range. We always for 075 type batteries

whatever you do buy, make sure the position of the +ve and -ve terminals align with your wiring
Funnily enough, iv replaced my battery maybe eight or ten years ago and I just replaced it like for like and I now have the wrong battery in there. My mate the sparks said to me about it. After he’d finished calling me a d#*k head, he pointed out that the terminals should be away from the vans body and closer to the access. Makes it easier to get to the leads too. So my new plan is to get the new battery with the terminals facing you with earth on the right, then re use what’s left of my battery as a leisure battery on the opposite side as i don’t have a leisure battery right now. Then I’ll have to fit something that needs a leisure battery I guess, maybe fit that heater :unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, What wiiiiilllll I fit ? :)

Thanks for recommendations- there’s not many batteries that have neg terminal on RH side.
Do you guys just spin em round ??

Varta, Bosch (made by Varta) Banner, Exide, Yuasa = (Halfords own brand) are top line batteries. Early bays had the + terminal on the left, 077 battery is the original 45Ah. Batteries are still available in that style, Fiats and Renaults had them that way, but are more expensive than the equivalent R/H + terminals. It is better to move the earth strap and fit a normal battery.

Thanks for recommendations- there’s not many batteries that have neg terminal on RH side.
Do you guys just spin em round ??
Keep looking, they’re out there. But if you spin them around, you’ll end up with the terminals next to the body work and that ain’t a good thing and it puts the positive much too close to the body and easier / possibly / could do / may one day short out. Just had a brainstorm thought that wasn’t nice. I wonder if any vans that have caught fire and burnt out did in fact have the wrong battery in and some how got shorted out or loosened and shorted out or something flew down the air vent etc etc etc. I’ve known several peeps that would put any old battery on a car or van they’ve had for sale just to move it on and to keep the new battery they’ve recently replaced . :eek:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, don’t bear thinking about do it :rolleyes:

Interested in this too. Mine has negative on the left and terminals face the body as per ozziedogs. Pain to get off and on. So is there a specific recommended battery?

The stock and I’m gonna say recommended way has surely got to be with the standard earth strap just inside the noisey cupboard and facing the motor, so on the right front of the battery and the live positive terminal has to be clearly closer to the wheel arch but still facing the motor so the left front of it. I’d never ever even considered the fact that it’s such a faff to fiddle with it, never gave it a thought. Early finish today and off down to Halfords to sort it.;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, every day is definitely a school day. :)

Let me know what you get - I had a look online last night. Saw this
8120B75E-42AC-46FB-B583-68D1E1E1245C.jpg

Could be the one 😎🌈👍

A8397D3D-D0FE-4E94-A042-5A0B7D483EB9.jpg
This is 077 - looks a better fit with tabs on bottom for battery clamp 🌈👍

Strap lengths aside, the proximity of the battery teminals to the bodywork shouldn't matter if the battery is secured - as it has to be by MOT standards. Even if you don't get an MOT, you definately don't want a battery moving about on corners etc.

I bought the cheapest battery I could find online for mine. £45 from Halfords. I don't run anything else off it that's a drain (plus I run an alternator) and it has a three year warranty.

I have a Varta battery and the negative is nearest the engine hatch so easy to disconnect when stood for a while. Great battery. Haven’t used the bus much so takes a little while to prime cranking to start, and stood for months. Battery never misses a beat. I charge it intermittently.
Good luck

Thanks - I think Varta is the one for me too 🌈👍✅

Varta 077 45AH battery ordered from tayna.co.uk Sunday - arrived today. Good price . 3 year guaranteed. Excellent service and will slot straight in 🌈👍

Varta 077 45AH battery ordered from tayna.co.uk Sunday - arrived today. Good price . 3 year guaranteed. Excellent service and will slot straight in 🌈👍
The 077 have low cranking amps at 450, thats why we always go with the 075 which is 540 and above, its not just about the size and orientation of the clamps its that its got enough ampage to spin the motor on a cold morning.

Bugger ! ….. will have to see how we get on. Won’t be using it in winter. If I struggle I’ll possibly get it replaced.
Thanks for the info 🌈👍

Latest posts