• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Bay Camper wanted - 13K+ Budget

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foz

Reaction score
I'm after a Bay camper of some sort. I have sufficient funds to buy a decent example. I'm not interested in unfinished projects that need a mountain of work doing to it.
Ideally a fully loaded, ready to go van is what i'm after, that maybe I can add my stamp to.
Pop top preferred but not essential!
Cash will be available at the end of the month, so making enquires now.
Any links, tips, advice or geniue offers appreciated.
Cheers.

Hi,

Sounds like you are after either a rust free imported bus or one that has already had the work done - are you fussy about LHD or RHD?

Rust free from the US or SA - both Midland Earlybay and Scott Wilson can provide both - for one that's been already restored then you'll need to make sure that it has been done to a high quality or you'll be picking bus coloured filler off the drive in a few years time :D

Also think about age - the earlier wide five bays are desirable, but later ones come with discs and brake servo's - crossovers seem to be more common but may not be as sough after as that '68 with it's multitude of one year only parts

The type will help narrow down the search - Westfalia's are a popular choice for the interior layout and are usually more available in LHD from the US/SA/Aus - RHD UK is likely dormobile with their funny layout (though I'm biased :) ) - tintops look better but nothing nicer than being able to stand up inside the van!

exciting times looking for a new bus - of course you could go for luxury and get a converted deluxe microbus with all it's shiny bits on it :D

If I was buying again I too would stump up the cash and get one that's already been done (refurbed engine, new interior, bodywork sorted and everything waxed & protected) - they come up on the for sale section but do fetch a premium for the piece of mind and lots of resto photo's

I should add - I knew I wanted a 1971 LHD rust free white westfalia with poptop and it took around 3 months for one to come by so patience is definately worthwhile!

lard said:
Hi,

Sounds like you are after either a rust free imported bus or one that has already had the work done - are you fussy about LHD or RHD?

Rust free from the US or SA - both Midland Earlybay and Scott Wilson can provide both - for one that's been already restored then you'll need to make sure that it has been done to a high quality or you'll be picking bus coloured filler off the drive in a few years time :D

Also think about age - the earlier wide five bays are desirable, but later ones come with discs and brake servo's - crossovers seem to be more common but may not be as sough after as that '68 with it's multitude of one year only parts

The type will help narrow down the search - Westfalia's are a popular choice for the interior layout and are usually more available in LHD from the US/SA/Aus - RHD UK is likely dormobile with their funny layout (though I'm biased :) ) - tintops look better but nothing nicer than being able to stand up inside the van!

exciting times looking for a new bus - of course you could go for luxury and get a converted deluxe microbus with all it's shiny bits on it :D

If I was buying again I too would stump up the cash and get one that's already been done (refurbed engine, new interior, bodywork sorted and everything waxed & protected) - they come up on the for sale section but do fetch a premium for the piece of mind and lots of resto photo's

I should add - I knew I wanted a 1971 LHD rust free white westfalia with poptop and it took around 3 months for one to come by so patience is definately worthwhile!

Hi Lard, thankyou for that info, its gave me food for thought. Ideally i'd prefer a RHD, as the missus will be driving it at some point. Tho having a Left hooker might just deter her from ever wanting to drive it :lol:
AUS imports seem few and far between, i guess they are the most desirable?
I think i wont go far wrong with a Westy..... ;)

Hi There ,

We have a few early bays in stock and some more on the way at House of Dub .
we have 3 westy pop top models just leaving U.S.A. this week . one 70, a 71 and a 1972. they are due 21st september . check out our website houseofdub.co.uk
any questions feel free to phone .
look at as many as you can to make shore you get the one you really want .
Happy hunting
Regards Spike :)

Hello, I currently have my pride and joy for sale. Sounds like you may have a little money left to personalise the bus to your taste :) http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Thanks for looking :)

Hi I have just uploaded my Van which is for sale at £12,500 ONO.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See what you think.

Neil

Just put mine back up for sale, its fully loaded,massive spec,lowered, big engine,disc brakes, 12v and 240v electrics inc electric hook up and leisure battery and zig unit, follow link for full details

GEDC2241.jpg

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34990" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts