Beetle Engine in Early Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuster

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm back after a few years! I used to have a '68, sold her and used my Beetle for a few years. Now she is being restored- so just bought a '71 Early Bay! She's Cali import, solid as a rock in patina, very low as well, with a weedeater beam.

Good to be back in Early Bay territory!

I have a question... I rebuilt my Beetle engine- an H series 1500SP, now a 1600SP with ported heads, twin Weber ICT 34s and full flow- Lovely engine (I've included a pic of it being built). I'd like to put this in the Van as it currently has no engine (I bought it like that). Problem is obviously H series case for a Bug is not cast for engine mount bar. If I was to use the oil pump mount kit for the bar- I need to bin the full flow (which I really do not want to do). So, what do I do here? Is there another place I can tap to have the oil coming out of the case other than the oil pump cover method? The oil re-enters the case in the usual tapped gallery. Or, is there some sort of mount kit that allows full flow systems and mount to the bar??

Trying to work out the best thing to do here- as I really want to keep the full flow system as the engine has a smaller SP fan and needs the extra cooling etc, but aside from that- I like to have a decent filter as well.

Help much appreciated!

Please don’t use those mount kits. All the weight and torque of an engine going through some tiny 8mm studs is not a great. Vw designed bus engines with those cases and sized bolts for a reason, the the pumps studs were ample it would have come from the factory like that.

Latest posts