Belly pan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aardvark

Reaction score
Hi friends
On this new van we have it has a couple of belly pans.
The smaller front one covering the servo etc looks easy to remove, however there is also a big full length one that looks pretty secure.
I want to remove this, not only to see what's underneath, but also make it easier to work on the heater cables and run a new vacuum hose. I last had a T2 about 25 years ago and it didn't have these. Also any van I looked at when we were scouting out a purchase didn't have. So, I'm kind of please it's there as it indicates originality. But what's the best way of removing it so that it can be refitted. The van has been lowered enough that I can't get underneath for a good look and I'm waiting delivery of axle stands.
Any help or advice appreciated.
Andy

Ok, thanks. I can do that no problem as I manage an engineering workshop.
Andy.

I’d get him up on the kerb or drive him up on some decent blocks so you can get under there and have a butchers. Most are spotted on, but some have taken them out and pk’d them on. I’m toying with roofing sheet self tappers with their sealing washer on and nut hex head. You could then start em off then plop a dollop of tiger seal on there and tighten. I’ll be doing the pedal pan one of these days and I’ll trial fit it, and start all the tappers then remove and put an adhesive seal around then screw it back up with a dollop on each screw before it goes all the way in. Them Dewalt extremes are about the best spot weld drills, expensive but great quality and will outlast at least ten cheapos :mrgreen: Also, there have been a lot of horror stories hidden under them pans, so be prepared :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,maybe do it before Halloween :msn4: :mrgreen: :msn4:

As Ozzie says. Lots of horrors behind them sometimes and mine were nightmare first class. But....the old VeeDub ‘get there in the end nice and ready for action’ is so achievable. Whatever you find. Lots of threads on here showing success with application. When the time comes to replace them back (whatever happens in between) then you can bolt them on. That’s what my renovation guy said and did. Drill and tap albeit thoughtfully and they are forever accessible. That’s what mine are. And it means a yearly get them off and keep behind them nice and clean.

Latest posts