Ben's 72 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you! Does indeed look amazing. I will have to speak to the garage about it and see what they can come up with. I am good at things, this might be a bit too far for me. I did try the headlining with help and wow that is a hard job, so I will have to pay someone to do that.

Thank you! Does indeed look amazing. I will have to speak to the garage about it and see what they can come up with. I am good at things, this might be a bit too far for me. I did try the headlining with help and wow that is a hard job, so I will have to pay someone to do that.
a bit like you I am always up for having a go at things but I didn't even entertain the idea of installing the headlining myself!! a job certainly better left to the professionals I think!

Yes that will reduce the clicking sound you get from the fuel pump, but the heater blower fan still puts out a fair bit of noise and that will be reverberating inside the under seat enclosure you have created. Mine’s under the van and you can hear it when van’s stationary. Just worth checking to see if you’ll be able to tolerate it 👍

Yes that will reduce the clicking sound you get from the fuel pump, but the heater blower fan still puts out a fair bit of noise and that will be reverberating inside the under seat enclosure you have created. Mine’s under the van and you can hear it when van’s stationary. Just worth checking to see if you’ll be able to tolerate it 👍
thanks for the warning!

few more steps forward today....
Head unit with Apple Car Play installed (nav, reverse camera, phone, DAB etc). had the head unit sat on a shelf for months!
the hole that had been hacked in the dash was huge so the head unit fell right through to start with!

And a new alarm fitted with all the clever tricks, including superb ultrasonics.
5ce8147a-cd4b-4635-915b-645da82a4bfc.JPG

just been out for a drive and had actual stereo working for the first time in my ownership!!! nearly a proper car to drive 😁😁😁😁

must get the heating finished now!!

Managed to carve out a bit of VW time yesterday.
Made a basic loom from dash to engine bay:
Separate fused power for heated front seats, stereo to leisure battery and for the FBH.
Signal wire for oil temp.
Speaker wires to rear.
Reverse camera wire.

All from 12 Volt Planet, including the conduit, bulk head connector and all the grommets terminals and fuse box.
I plan to run it under the bus following the original loom.
IMG_8935.jpeg
IMG_8936.jpeg

Last edited:
Managed to carve out a bit of VW time yesterday.
Made a basic loom from dash to engine bay:
Separate fused power for heated front seats, stereo to leisure battery and for the FBH.
Signal wire for oil temp.
Speaker wires to rear.
Reverse camera wire.

All from 12 Volt Planet, including the conduit, bulk head connector and all the grommets terminals and fuse box.
I plan to run it under the bus following the original loom.
View attachment 7264
View attachment 7265
You may struggle to get that to follow the orriginal route of the loom, not trying to be negative but personally I would have run a bigger power supply cable to under the dash and then put a fuse box there and then just run signal wires to the back as a smaller loom, also are you running earths back to the battery??, much better to fit an earth buzz bar under the dash, has exactly the same effect as both batteries earth to the body.

You may struggle to get that to follow the orriginal route of the loom, not trying to be negative but personally I would have run a bigger power supply cable to under the dash and then put a fuse box there and then just run signal wires to the back as a smaller loom, also are you running earths back to the battery??, much better to fit an earth buzz bar under the dash, has exactly the same effect as both batteries earth to the body.
@Graham L
Thanks Graham!
I’m sure you are right but for some reason I’ve decided to do it this way and fuse everything near the batteries in the engine bay. 👍
As for the route I’ll go in near the original loom entry into the engine bay and hopefully I can use the same route in under the belly pan at the front 🤞

If it helps I threaded my loom through the chassis as original. I initially taped the new one to the end of original in order to
pull it through from the back. Mistake no.1 !! Got stuck going over front beam. Took ages trying to get it through and pretty much gave up. So had a brain wave and managed to thread a garden hose through from front to back. But then got stuck at back about 12” before the rear !!
Solution was … thread another piece of garden hose from back . Think I used a piece of elec wire and a silicone gun nose taped to end …. then got them to ‘meet/mate/dock’ using a small gap in chassis at rear to guide the mating in a nasa style. Very heath robinson and time consuming but got it through eventually and had a beer. 🌈👍

For clarity..after the two hoses docked I could guide it the last few feet all way through to the back …. then tape on new loom and guide it through from back to front carefully using the push pull technique using the garden hose as the guide. Hope that makes sense 🌈👍

For clarity..after the two hoses docked I could guide it the last few feet all way through to the back …. then tape on new loom and guide it through from back to front carefully using the push pull technique using the garden hose as the guide. Hope that makes sense 🌈👍
I think the new loom that I fitted last year must take up the available space so I’m going to route this ‘extras loom’ roughly alongside it.
Not 100% sure how it’s going to go until I get under there.

I think the new loom that I fitted last year must take up the available space so I’m going to route this ‘extras loom’ roughly alongside it.
Not 100% sure how it’s going to go until I get under there.
I did the same and then snaked it over to the left hand side just before the front beam when coming from the rear. I don’t have a centre pipe, but do have a flexible heat duct that connects to the front totem, from the diesel heater, so followed that route and came up near where the drain hose drops through from the front vent.

When there’s a will, there’s a way 👍

Lovely trip out in the bus last week - ran great for a motorway cruise. I've had to move it while we have some building work done.
Only issue I've found is the bus has created it's own disco mode with the interior lights!
I'm wondering if it might be something to do with the split charge relay as I could hear that doing something in the engine bay when trying to figure out what's going on!

*FLASHY LIGHTS - EPILEPSY WARNING!*

View attachment IMG_0271.MOV

and one of these turned up! - saw the job Mike is having with the bush group buy so just went ahead and ordered one! Hopefully it will minimise the last small amount of play in the steering.
IMG_0281.jpg

Still looking for a rear roof rack, or a knackered one I can turn into a rear rack, as I'm keen to get an awning in place. the hunt continues.....!

and one of these turned up! - saw the job Mike is having with the bush group buy so just went ahead and ordered one! Hopefully it will minimise the last small amount of play in the steering.
View attachment 7995
I just changed mine and the old one didn’t look too bad until I bent it over in the vice. I just can’t believe how much difference it’s made even though the ‘ new one ‘ is off an old 72 that I dismembered quite a few years back and kept for no real good reason.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,you’ll be chuffed :)

I just changed mine and the old one didn’t look too bad until I bent it over in the vice. I just can’t believe how much difference it’s made even though the ‘ new one ‘ is off an old 72 that I dismembered quite a few years back and kept for no real good reason.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,you’ll be chuffed :)
Hope so!
Should compliment the refurb’d steering box and the rest of the work done so far!

Hope so!
Should compliment the refurb’d steering box and the rest of the work done so far!
It will 👍

didn’t bother with the supplied shaft attachment, I just changed the coupler. I remember Ian over on LB having some kind of problem with it when trying to fit the whole assembly.

Latest posts