Ben's 72 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody else do the Run The Ring 6 this weekend?
I went with my son, which was a great experience. Not as much old stuff as I’d hoped to see but great fun and for a very worthy cause (Dementia Adventure - https://dementiaadventure.org/)
Bus ran great! And good memories made!
View attachment 3510
just heard that RTR 6 raised approx. £70K this year for Dementia Adventure. superb effort and so far raised £250K in total

Can’t wait for a bit of warmer weather so I can finish of the heater install! And get back driving the bus 😁

So until then to keep me busy I’ve been making things ready to install!
First of is a little panel which will fix up under the dash - controller for the heater, oil temp gauge sprayed to match the existing gauges and then the controller for the heated seats 😁
041DA538-25E9-48A2-B447-B7D9472AAC05.jpeg

Coloured some marine speakers to match the front kick panels:
5BB172C6-1DC7-41A7-B230-BA80BDC8A3FE.jpeg

Then a table to hang on the outside for cooking and drinks 😁
(Hung on the shower screen to figure out fixings!)

62843A6D-4C27-4023-9D53-A55DBFD5A13B.jpeg

There’s always a project to do! Which I love 😁

Last edited:
Hey ben, Great work, I love the hanging table, would this hook over the roof gutter and rest against the sliding door?
Hi!
Thanks.
Yes. Either hang off the gutter or the top of the sliding door itself.
Again - this isn’t my design, I’d seen similar online and then made one the size I wanted!
Once I’m done applying a finish to the table then I’ll stick a few neoprene dots to the edge that hangs against the paintwork to minimise any rubbing.

If you want to make your own let me know and I’ll find the link for the rubberised rail hooks. 👍

Last edited:
fun day today!
Started with getting the bus out for the first time this year...
started and ticked over really well.

first fit of the new table
IMG_6501.JPG
bit of adjustment and it works great - I'd applied a few coats of finish, new style straps which were much better and a few small foam strips stuck along the back edge to protect the paint.
The bigger result / relief is that it fits perfectly under the R&R seat and between the wheel wells with about 50mm to spare 😁
IMG_6502.jpg

Then I headed off to Way Out Westie for a day of learning with Nick - despite breaking down on the way there 🤦‍♂️ on the side of the M40, which somehow I managed to fix by replacing the rotor arm!!

So good to be learning mechanics on my own bus.
Nick took me through how to carry out a service and how to sense check common failure points.
He finished up checking and balancing the carbs
IMG_6517.JPG

the bus went really well on the way home and a pleasure to drive.
Really got me back in the grove of getting jobs done, in particular finishing off the heater install!!

Great day had!

Here's a pic of the smallest screwdriver in the world!! (perfect for the carbs!)
😁
IMG_6518.JPG

Last edited:
Not being funny but I hope you didn't let him touch your twin carbs, he claims to be the expert on ICT34's but all his source material is from people on this forum and JK forum (but he says its his own research), his knowledge of other twin carbs is limited and will tell you, you don't need to set them up on a rolling road which is completely wrong, the only way to set up a set of twins properly is on a rolling road that knows what they are doing.
Its funny as only 5 years ago he was asking questions on forums about how to do things like set up ICTs after he had broken down, now he's an expert and running courses.
This isn't sour grapes its just myself and other aircooled mechanics are left to pick up the pieces after he has 'played' with peoples engines and given duff advice.

Thanks for your input Graham. I certainly respect your opinion.
Considering the less than ideal experience I’ve had with VWEC it was good to have another person to chat around the bus.

I found it a valuable day for my general understanding.

Thanks for your input Graham. I certainly respect your opinion.
Considering the less than ideal experience I’ve had with VWEC it was good to have another person to chat around the bus.

I found it a valuable day for my general understanding.
Hey
That's my green bus parked behind yours. He's passionate about what he does and a surely anyone helping keep us going is a good thing?

Grabbed a few hours on the bus this afternoon. First in ages!
Front speakers I colour coded, new front mat and gear stick gator fitted.
IMG_7411.jpeg
Wiring for rear heated screen in and 3rd brake light fitted.
IMG_7412.jpeg
And I’m most chuffed with fitting the 2 little rubber bungs that the fuel flap closes on 😆😆😆
IMG_7414.jpeg

The interior is now all marked up and ready for a second trip to the lovely guys at Bromsgrove Trim Shop next week to finish off with a new headliner.
😁

I appreciate this isn’t the amazing technical work of others on here, but it keeps me happy!

Last edited:
And I’m most chuffed with fitting the 2 little rubber bungs that the fuel flap closes on 😆😆😆

I appreciate this isn’t the amazing technical work of others on here, but it keeps me happy!

I’m not sure if you’re aware Ben, but most of the stuff in photos looks a lot better than it is in real life. Yours looks fab and you’ve got me revved up to go and see if I have those two bungs on my flap because I don’t think I have. That’s not to say that there aren’t some gob smacking tasty like brand new busses out there, not mine by the way, mine just keeps going almost by itself :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Almost magical really :cool::cool::cool:

I’m not sure if you’re aware Ben, but most of the stuff in photos looks a lot better than it is in real life. Yours looks fab and you’ve got me revved up to go and see if I have those two bungs on my flap because I don’t think I have. That’s not to say that there aren’t some gob smacking tasty like brand new busses out there, not mine by the way, mine just keeps going almost by itself :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Almost magical really :cool::cool::cool:
My bus is definitely a 20 footer!
But I love it, love working on it and being in it. It makes me happy 😁

Braved the heavy rain for another trip to Bromsgrove Trim Shop this morning.
Bus ran really well - so much more stable and confidence building to drive now than when I first got it! (Should be with the amount of parts I’ve replaced/ rebuilt!!)
Excited to see Pete’s work as he finishes off the interior from the belt line up - headlining, interior lights, mattress for the pop top….
He does such a great job so I’m a bit over excited while I wait a few weeks to go back and get it!!

Here’s a pic of my bus and Pete with his big cock 😆😆😆😆😆
IMG_8213.jpeg

Think I’ve finally had a revalation about the heater fuel tank (which I just couldn’t figure out a solution I was happy with)
A metal tank underneath the bus….
Although I’m not sure how/ where you’d have the filled neck????

Any suggestions, pics for inspo appreciated!!

Latest posts